Xantia key reprogram/immobiliser

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

peter1138
My Cars:

Xantia key reprogram/immobiliser

Post by peter1138 »

Hi all,
I tried to lock my '00 Xantia today, but it wouldn't and the button didn't click either. So I took key apart and the button for it has come off the circuit board. Fairly easy to spot that fault then.
However, my spare key hasn't had a battery in it for some time, and won't unlock/lock the car when I transfer the battery across. My local Citroën place want to charge £35 to get it 'retuned'. Any ideas how I go about recoding it myself?
Another thing: either key in the ignition allows the car to start, but I thought it should be immobilised with the long-dead key. Does the immobiliser not rely on the key having power, or is there some problem going on there as well?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The immobiliser does not need power, I believe it works off an induction loop in (or near) the ignition barrel.
I have resoldered the switches succesfully with a fine soldering iron and a steady hand.
Reprogramming the system is done by switching on the ignition then pressing the buttons on the 'plip'. I can't remember the exact sequence but a search on the forum should come up with something. £35 to retune it is really extracting the urine since the job takes seconds, in fact they could just do the decent thing and tell you how to do it over the 'phone.
Not sure how much a bettery costs but you could pop into the dealer with the pretence of buying a bettery and then have a chat with the assistant?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

as far as im aware the HF (like on the mk2 xantia) type plips need to be programed using the citroen computer,you will need the 4 digit transponder code to do this.
like homer said the imobiliser does not need power,the battery is for the c/locking side of things only.
peter1138
My Cars:

Post by peter1138 »

Homer,
This is probably a silly question, but how do get the circuit board out of the plip? Obviously there's the little screw to hold the rubber part on, but other than that, I can't see how to get the plip apart.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

I read somewhere the procedure for P206 key reprogramming - press the button on the key, insert the key into the ignition switch and start the car (still holding the button, I presume). Try.