Citroen xsara Picasso 2.0 hdi

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Almo2015
My Cars: Citroen xsara Picasso 2004 hdi

Citroen xsara Picasso 2.0 hdi

Post by Almo2015 »

Changed gearbox and clutch come to start car and all it does is either clicks or sometimes it cranks over, plugged car upto lexia and it found 1 fault on bsi saying ecu communication fault? On my dash it says parking brake ( which it never says) and the speedo got two dashes when it should say 0? Can someone please help I've found a video what my car is doing

Thanks Sean
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Citroen xsara Picasso 2.0 hdi

Post by Lighty »

Have you accidentally touched the Ecu body with the battery live wire ?.
If not you may have pulled some wiring whilst moving the engine assembly up & down.
Worth checking the Ecu plugs as the wires do rot through if water gets in.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Almo2015

Post by Almo2015 »

Lighty wrote:Have you accidentally touched the Ecu body with the battery live wire ?.
If not you may have pulled some wiring whilst moving the engine assembly up & down.
Worth checking the Ecu plugs as the wires do rot through if water gets in.
Thanks for reply, what would have happened if touched ecu with positive live wire? Coming to think about when building car back up I touched positive live to gearbox earth, it sparked. Could this done damage to ecu? Thanks Sean
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

This is possible, but if you touch the Ecu casing it almost certainly damages it.
It is very important to disconnect the battery on a Picasso , even though it's slightly ark ward. We have had many with " issues" caused by this oversight.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Almo2015

Post by Almo2015 »

Lighty wrote:This is possible, but if you touch the Ecu casing it almost certainly damages it.
It is very important to disconnect the battery on a Picasso , even though it's slightly ark ward. We have had many with " issues" caused by this oversight.
Thanks for reply I'm getting fault code u1000 on lexia
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

A U1000 can signify: The engine ECU no longer communicates on the network : Not characterised. Without a secondary code, this likely means that your Engine ECU is not communicating with the car and therefore it can't start. In your case it is likely it has been fried due to that jolt. The most obvious thing to do first is, as Lighty says, check to see if you have knocked a connector during assembly - try removing these, putting a bit of contact cleaner on and trying again, making sure none of the wires or pins are loose.

There is another chap who had his Picasso gearbox done at a garage and they fried his ECU too! These cars are very sensitive and procedures need to be followed before and when reconnecting the battery in order to allow the cars ECUs to be commanded to go to 'sleep'. Not doing this can leave them in a state when powering back up. In your case I think that jolt you mentioned has possibly damaged the ECU and that is why it isn't starting. The other chap's garaged sourced a new ECU and it was fine after that.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Almo2015

Post by Almo2015 »

GiveMeABreak wrote:A U1000 can signify: The engine ECU no longer communicates on the network : Not characterised. Without a secondary code, this likely means that your Engine ECU is not communicating with the car and therefore it can't start. In your case it is likely it has been fried due to that jolt. The most obvious thing to do first is, as Lighty says, check to see if you have knocked a connector during assembly - try removing these, putting a bit of contact cleaner on and trying again, making sure none of the wires or pins are loose.

There is another chap who had his Picasso gearbox done at a garage and they fried his ECU too! These cars are very sensitive and procedures need to be followed before and when reconnecting the battery in order to allow the cars ECUs to be commanded to go to 'sleep'. Not doing this can leave them in a state when powering back up. In your case I think that jolt you mentioned has possibly damaged the ECU and that is why it isn't starting. The other chap's garaged sourced a new ECU and it was fine after that.
Thanks for reply if I change ecu will I need to change bsi, key or anything else? Do you recommend anyone about ecu replacement? Will new ecu need programming to my car and is it possible for me to do this on lexia? Thanks Sean
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sean, the following information applies concerning BSIs and Engine ECUs - reproduced here from one of the Peugeot Forums:
It is not possible to fit a second hand BSI on it's own..
  • The engine ECU and the BSI have to be matched.
  • Each ECU in a correctly functioning system has a 4 digit code programmed into it.
  • Once this code is entered into the ECU it will not be possible to be read, deleted or modified.
  • The second hand BSI can't be matched to the existing engine ECU even if you know both codes from both ECU's.
  • In order to fit a new BSI you need to know the correct security code of the existing engine ECU so you can enter this code in the new BSI.
  • If you get this wrong the new BSI will become unusable.
  • If you don't know the correct code for the existing engine ECU then you need to replace the engine ECU and the BSI.
  • They then will need to be configured and matched. If the code to the vehicle is not known you can make up a code in this case
  • but make sure you enter the same code in both ECU. It could be an expensive exercise to get this one wrong.
  • Citroen / Peugeot Dealers can obtain the security codes for a particular vehicle if you are the lawful owner.
  • The odometer reading (distance travelled) is memorised in the BSI and the instrument panel. If you connect a second hand BSI with a reading higher then the one on the instrument, the distance on the instrument will increase to the higher BSI reading as soon as it is connected to the car.
  • So beware, a customer would not be happy if his distance suddenly jumped up several thousand miles!
  • There is one way you can fit a second hand BSI. Use the engine ECU from the same donor car where the BSI came from.
  • It would then still be helpful if you can obtain the donor cars 4 digit security code for future programming, and also remember the issue with the distance. The distance reading won't be a problem if the donor car has lower distance then the recipient, the distance in the BSI will then simply go up to the correct distance.
I would suggest you give BBA Reman a call first - as they can probably advise you on the best way to go, as they can repair many types of ECUs. Normally, you would need a matched set of the BSI, the Engine ECU and the Key fobs (which contain the transponder immobiliser chips) from a donor vehicle - but these must be off the same vehicle. Also, the VIN code from the donor car and the PIN / confidential code for the keys in case you need to get a spare made in the future. You take a chance here as breakers may not source from the same vehicle and you're back to square one! Also, you don't know if you'll get a duff unit either..
Here's a link to BBA Reman - and this link in particular is the ECU for the Xsara Picasso / Saxo that have suffered from short damage:
http://www.bba-reman.com/content.aspx?c ... ra_Picasso

Good Luck!

Marc
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

Surely you can fit an unlocked ECU with any BSI? Obviously that means purchasing an unlocked ECU, but they can be got for around £180 from the likes of HDi-Tuning.co.uk and similar places... even with a light remap on :)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It may be better to try and get the original engine ECU repaired first (if at all possible depending on damage) - as I can't be sure whether there are any other components to be re-programmed in the the engine ECU if replaced with a new one (injectors etc).

Marc
Almo2015

Post by Almo2015 »

My ecu as been fried, ordered a ecu kit today for £70. Is it easy to change a bsi & key barrel? Any diagrams would be good. Will Haynes manual show how to change bsi? Thanks
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi Sean - what did you get? - the BSI, Engine ECU and transponder fob Keys?
IIRC, you shouldn't need to change the transponder ring in the steering wheel collar - as the coded transponder chip is in the key fob itself - the collar only picks up the signal and transmits it on. If you have the large fob with the buttons on, you should be able to transplant the chip very carefully from the donor fob to your fob if it's the same type and keep the same key and use this on the doors as normal.

Send me a PM with your email address Sean (don't post here) and I'll send you the diagrams I have (managed to get your VIN working at last). :-D

Marc
Almo2015

Post by Almo2015 »

Thanks Marc your a genius sent you pm
Almo2015

Post by Almo2015 »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Hi Sean - what did you get? - the BSI, Engine ECU and transponder fob Keys?
ENG Ecu WITH IGNITION BARREL + KEY + BSI + FUSE BOX + FUEL CAP
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Sure you haven't got the rest of the car there somewhere? :lol:
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!