Will I be very poor if I get a C6?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: Will I be very poor if I get a C6?

Post by vborovic »

Lighty wrote:C5 is a far better ride.
Which year or model exactly of a C5?
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Lighty wrote: Personally I think they are very disappointing. The suspension in each one is just plain poor. C5 is a far better ride.
Then there must be something wrong with all of those C6's suspensions - and someone just can't fix it. :roll:

It seems that suspension on C6 is very unreliable. It's very good when working just as it should. For example one finnish guy bought under 40000km driven 3.0HDi and it had already suspension problems, one rear wheel was stuck at hard mode most of the times. And it was very hard to find out what was causing that because fault codes don't help at this. In the end he had faulty central hydraulic block, and after replacing it (at 1300€ in Estonia including labour) the suspension works as it should. He says it's much better than C5 X7.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I think the Hydractive III and its + variant became too complex, being one of the reasons Citroen is finally dropping the hydropneumatic concept after years of perfecting it (and making it too complicated to maintain - mechanically and electronically) ... I've had an opportunity to ride in several C6s, and I still believe/feel my dads C5 2005 (facelift) easily beats them in the ride quality aspect
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Well I am prepared to be open minded on this, that I am an idiot but !
I find it highly unlikely that all cars display the same handling traits. In my view the front suspension travel is to short, especially when the power unit is so heavy & hanging so far over the front suspension.
The tyres are too wide & too low profile to offer a comfortable ride .
I find all the cars driven tend to bob a little at the front, and one of the common traits of hydraulic suspension is it tends to rock from side to side on bumpy roads.
One of the cars suffered suspension issues with broken wires to a rear height corrector & faulty steering angle sensor. All faults correctly fixed and parameters reading fine, this then brought the suspension up to the standards of all the other C6's I have driven I.e poor.
For me the MK111 C5 exclusive has the finest suspension Citroen made ( except possibly the GSA).
I would imagine I have driven way more of any of these cars than most of you, but after all this is just my opinion, so take it as you wish.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

vborovic wrote: I've had an opportunity to ride in several C6s, and I still believe/feel my dads C5 2005 (facelift) easily beats them in the ride quality aspect
I would also agree with this :clap:
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I think the CX GTI I borrowed was the nicest ride from 'that' era, with the X7 firmer than all the others, but still a bit bumpy at slow speeds over tiny bumps. Haven't ridden in the C6 as yet... and doubt I will get the chance now - especially as none will be 'new' for a comparison. The 3 XM's I had all disappointed on ride quality - after having tried both comfort spheres and standard ones. Very bad at low speeds again in absorbing little bumps.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

But C5 X7 and C6 have same suspension - only AMVAR on C6 and it should be much better with that. Both do have exactly as short suspension travel and that's a pitty.

Have you Lighty driven X7 with V6 engine, is it too as bad as C6 because it's nose heavy too?

And C6's suspension might be faulty eventhough there's no fault codes. For example that faulty rear hydraulic central block didn't give any fault code.

And I had a ride on DS, that was way better than any XM, C5 or Xantia I've riden.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

I have never driven a C5 with a V6 lump, so can't comment. In fact it is probably the only Citroen I haven't been in .
I did drive a DS this morning with all new spheres & tbh I do not think they are that great, superb for its time, but pretty primitive by today's standards.
A good CX is pretty good, but rolls too much as does the DS. I guess it depends on what you expect from a car.
Still think the C6 is poor :mrgreen:
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

So C6 is too comfy for you. :rofl2:

I was quite amazed how well DS absorbs speed bumps. Of course it has got body roll and its ultra soft but I don't want to drive sporty car everyday. Too bad these new Citroen's are too hard.
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

I've had a GSA, a BX, 3 XMs, many Xantias and a few C5s.

Best ride of all - The GSA, BX a close 2nd, then the 2004 C5HDi. I've driven a couple of X7s and they're not really much better than my Berlingo. The seats are better but the ride is nothing to write home about.

I've been in a couple of DS (real ones) and they weren't bad but I hate the bloody things anyway so I'm not the best person to ask about them!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Another vote for the GS.
Amazing car in many respects.
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

Xantippa wrote:So C6 is too comfy for you. :rofl2: .
Not at all, I don't find it in the slightest bit comfortable. I think I put across a fair and unbiased opinion. I drive literally hundreds of cars a year , and can give an unbiased opinion as I have no vested interest one way or another.
As I said, I really wanted to like the C6, but it just isn't good in my opinion.
McLaren 12c is the finest of them all without a doubt, as it can go from one extreme to another.
I have an Ariel Nomad on order, with Ohlins suspension, this is also very comfortable indeed due to its large travel and very expensive set up.
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Lighty wrote:McLaren 12c is the finest of them all without a doubt, as it can go from one extreme to another.
Earth to Lighty ... we're talking about family cars here ... :D ... for 150000 GBP (I think that was the new price for that car, right?) in one car I bet Citroen would make a Hydractive IV
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

vborovic wrote:
Lighty wrote:McLaren 12c is the finest of them all without a doubt, as it can go from one extreme to another.
Earth to Lighty ... we're talking about family cars here ... :D ... for 150000 GBP (I think that was the new price for that car, right?) in one car I bet Citroen would make a Hydractive IV
Sorry, didn't realise we had a budget cap, at the end of the day it's just a car, and we were discussing comfort. The mclaren is unusually good especially as it's a sports car.
I will leave the argument at this point as you clearly love the C6.
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Lighty wrote:I will leave the argument at this point as you clearly love the C6.
If you meant me specifically, no, not really ... would I want to have one C6 in my collection, yes, if it would be in proper and working order ... only as a 2nd cruising car though .. but if I had an option of choosing between a C5 X7 Tourer 3.0 HDI and the C6 3.0 HDi (which for me are the top PSA engines to go for), I'd pick the C5, definitely.

True, we're talking about cars in general, but as it always is, the more buck, the more bang ... and a car for that price tag actually has to offer something in return (sports, luxury, or whatever, doesn't matter)