C5 Mk III suspension issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: C5 Mk III suspension issues

Post by vborovic »

I'm not sure the height sensors (for the xenons) should be fitted as standard on the car that doesn't have them (they're separate from the ride height sensors, at least, they should be) ... that's one thing, and if you have genuine xenon headlamps, you need to add the ECU for the beam swivel as well ... a friend mechanic said, that the procedure can be done, but it is similar to fitting the hydractive suspension on a car that doesn't have it ... it might be an interesting project just to prove it can actually be retrofitted, but apart from that, I'd guess very much gain would come out of it ...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The non-Xenons have headlight levellers (for varying loads) with control on left side of steering wheel or just under for RHD vehicles IIRC and the Bi-directional Xenons have an independent levelling system separate to the Hydractive Suspension system (as the Hydractive system isn't quick enough to respond).

Incidentally - I've just seen a pair of X7 Xenon Headlights for sale for £170 + £10 postage for both!!! for anyone looking for spares:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Xenon-lamps-f ... SwAvJW-5St
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

According service.citroen.com I have this on rear axle:

5273 J9
HEADLAMP HEIGHT SENSOR
REAR

Suspension height sensor is named as headlamp height sensor. :-D

So I think to retrofit xenon's you would only need that ecu. Why would you need separate sensors for height when sensors for height are already fitted with hydropneumatic suspension?

And there's no headlight leveller control under or beside steering wheel. I think it is only needed on car's without hydropneumatic suspension. My Xantia didn't have that adjustment either, eventhough all the other cars of the same age (yearmodel 2000) had it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Xantippa wrote: So I think to retrofit xenon's you would only need that ecu. Why would you need separate sensors for height when sensors for height are already fitted with hydropneumatic suspension?

And there's no headlight leveller control under or beside steering wheel. I think it is only needed on car's without hydropneumatic suspension. My Xantia didn't have that adjustment either, eventhough all the other cars of the same age (yearmodel 2000) had it.
You would also need the front Dynamic Beam Adjustment Unit too (plus any wiring), plus larger Washer Reservoir, plus headlight washer rams etc....... :-D

The headlight levelling is fitted on most cars nowadays to help prevent loaded cars from dazzling oncoming drivers - including the X7. It is the X7s fitted with Xenons that have an automatic lighting adjustment system for the headlamps and therefore will not have the manual adjustment system on the steering wheel column neck. You are right regarding the Hydractive cars - they self level when carrying loads, so don't need headlamp adjusters - (unless you have the xenons of course, because these are a lot brighter and can dazzle, so need to be adjusted a lot quicker than the suspension could provide - especially with any pitching and wallowing)!

Marc
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I think dynamic beam adjustment unit is exactly that ecu I'm talking about. And I already have larger reservoir, washer rams and so on. ;) Don't know about wiring though, no idea where that ecu would be located and so on...
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Tried to find that dynamic beam adjustment unit on citroen.service. Couldn't find it.

However I wonder why there's 5273L9 -suspension computer on cars with bigger engine (at least 3.0HDi, eg.: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]). 2.0HDi doesn't seem to have this. In addition to that ecu there's also two separate height sensors on both axles. And that's not related to xenon-lights, smaller engine car's with xenon's don't have two sensors on both axles or that suspension computer either. I thought only C6 with amvar had height sensors for all wheels?
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

I think the X7s with the 3.0 engine are also AMVAR types, hence the extra electronics/mechanics
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Xantippa wrote:Tried to find that dynamic beam adjustment unit on citroen.service. Couldn't find it.

However I wonder why there's 5273L9 -suspension computer on cars with bigger engine (at least 3.0HDi, eg.: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]). 2.0HDi doesn't seem to have this. In addition to that ecu there's also two separate height sensors on both axles. And that's not related to xenon-lights, smaller engine car's with xenon's don't have two sensors on both axles or that suspension computer either. I thought only C6 with amvar had height sensors for all wheels?
The Dynamic Beam Corrector is found either under the left hand headlamp projector unit on xenon models, or under the battery support - depending on the engine type. I can find the part later for you.

The additional suspension computer is only found on the 3.0 petrol and 2.7 diesels (V6) vehicles along with the additional height sensors on the front struts. This replaced the AMVAR system used on the C6. - however, there is no variable damping as such used on the C5.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 04 Sep 2016, 10:27, edited 2 times in total.

Marc
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

@ Xantippa: The Dynamic Beam Corrector Unit is also referred to as the 'Headlight Auto Adjustment Unit' in some areas of the documentation and as edited in my post - will be found either under the front left Xenon light unit, or under the Battery support - depending on the engine of the vehicle. Part No for the unit is 6224 P4 for pre-configured or 6224 P5 where part is to be configured - this one was then later replaced with part 6224 T4.

Marc
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

I found that 6224T4 ok now.

I thought all C5 X7's had same kind of hydropneumatic suspension. So there's really AMVAR on C5.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No - steel sprung or Hydractive on the C5 X7. Hydractive models were only available as an option on Exclusive trim in later years. Only the 2.7 Diesel and 3.0 Petrol X7s with Hydractive have the Suspension Systems Control ECU (CSS). It is no longer called variable damping AMVAR. This performs the same functions, but excludes the AMVAR function that has been removed.

Marc
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

But AMVAR has got separate damping valves which normali hydractive doesn't have. Normally there's normal damping valves on spheres, but with AMVAR there's no damping valves on spheres. Without AMVAR damping is adjusted only by using also additional spheres or not. So there's only two damping settings. With AMVAR damping is adjusted by those valves that have much more different damping settings than normal system.

How does C5 X7 with CSS ECU adjust damping better than normal Hydractive if there's no AMVAR? I tried to look at C6's suspension on service, but couldn't find AMVAR-valves there, and system seemed pretty much identical to those on C5 X7 V6.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes - I know the C6 had the triangular sliding adjustment at each unit to restrict / allow the flow of fluid - it is this element that was removed. I'm guessing that with the 4 wheel travel sensors (as opposed to the 2 front and rear height correctors on the standard system) can supply the CSS with more detailed information from each of the wheels and can therefore provide more 'laws' than the standard system. I know that the information to determine height correction data calculations is a lot more involved on the V6 engines, so there is a lot more going on! :-D

I think the AMVAR system designed for the C6 was bespoke (and costly), plus had a lot more to go wrong with it - as can be seen on the C6 Forums by owners there.

I'm sure you've seen the video - but for reference purposes for others:

Marc