Is it ok to hear some turbo sound?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Parquet Kev
My Cars: Berlingo LX 1.6HDI 75 van 2011

Is it ok to hear some turbo sound?

Post by Parquet Kev »

Hi all. Having not long bought my berlingo im aware of turbogate and don't want it to happen to me!
But with my van i do very so slightly hear the turbo if i boot it in 2nd and 3rd usually hear it above 20000rpm like a very quiet electric sounding whistle and once in 3rd so quiet that i can hardly hear it at all. Is this ok or is something showing early signs. I do plan on getting the oil feed pipe filter removed but havent the money yet.

Also the place i bought it did a full service on it but i did an oil and filter change myself with total 5w30 and mann filter for peace of mind.

Thanks
Kev
BX
My Cars:

Re: Is it ok to hear some turbo sound?

Post by BX »

Don't know if you will have a problem or not, but I have seen a 407 and a C4 both 1.6hdi, whistle away quietly to themselves for almost 100000Km and still counting with no other problem than the sound. Check that none of the induction air ducting has come loose or that the induction duct seal on the inlet to the turbo hasn't disintegrated.
Parquet Kev

Post by Parquet Kev »

Ok thanks for the reply BX. The sound is very sight and only at those gears/revs and sometimes i not at all but i think the quicker i get that gauze filter out the better.

Also the air pipe from the air filter to the turbo at the turbo end is not a jubilee clip but some other clip so its easy to pull off so maybe get better clip for that. but when checked for play in the turbo there was no play to speak of.
Also the van is 2011 and done 27000miles
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

I think a turbo should be heard and it's sound welcomed :)
Drive most turbo diesels and open the front windows with hedges etc and it should be more apparent..especially in second or third ..

my car whines . Not turbo but possible gearbox .. this noise isn't welcome :(
John
Goc3k
My Cars: MKII saloon 405 DHY XUD9TE

(And some vastly less french cars!)

Post by Goc3k »

A slight crisp whistle is fine. Should be evident if you give it some beans it at around 1.8-2k revs (the sudden whoosh as it rapidly spools up)
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I concur, turbo whistle is good. Mines the same as Johns. I'm looking forward to reinstating turbo whistle and waving goodbye to whiney driveshaft.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

It can depend on the frequency range of your hearing, as we get older sensitivity to higher frequencies declines so we are less likely to hear it, at least the higher frequencies. It also depends on the sound insulation of the vehicle, but as already stated it is normal to hear some turbo whine - although I don''t hear it as much as I used to. :?

Peter
KennyW
Donor 2024
My Cars: Current Citroen's
C5 x7 2010
SWMBO C3 2012
Previous Citroen's
Xantia 2.0 90hp estate
Xantia 1.9 TD estate

Post by KennyW »

Peter,

Does that work with SWMBO, i mean loss of hearing.

Kenny
C5 x7 2.0 HDi 160 hp Estate exclusive, the newbie
Xantia 2.0 Hdi 90hp 1999 only 189,000 and rising!!!!!!! Moved on to a new home
C3 1.4 petrol (SWMBO)
Xantia TD 1.9 Mk 2 Estate LX 1998 model over 210,000 miles now and still rising!!!!!!!!!!!!! now deceased 17/12/2010.
Parquet Kev

Post by Parquet Kev »

Thanks for putting my mind at rest. Maybe im slightly paranoid about it but just need this van to run sweet for the long haul. Im intending to take out the filter on the oil feed to turbo pipe but am wondering how hard it would be to do myself? It will get an oil and filter every 5000 or half a year and injector bolts were checked and all were tight and clean so fingers crossed.

Kev

PS. when i did the oil change i found that jacking up the front passenger side got a bit more oil out by tipping it towards the plug but i have to say the recessed plug is a stupid design.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

KennyW wrote:Peter,

Does that work with SWMBO, i mean loss of hearing.

Kenny
As far as I know, this is not the case. SWMBOs always manage to pitch their voices in such a way that their target can always hear them, regardless of what is going on around them. The exception to this is when she wants to pick a fight, and then subconsciously her voice pitch alters, so she does not get heard, and so the first thing you will hear is "You were not listening to me!".

Mind you, some people can hear certain words regardless of distance and hearing acuity. There are cases on record where elderly Scottish men could not hear a bomb going off in the next room, but if they hear a phrase like "I wonder if Rob would like to come over for a whiskey" from a house over 10 miles away they will be there before the bottle has been opened! (provided it is a proper whiskey, not some cheap stuff).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!