Xantia handbrake cables

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MFHBlueberry
My Cars: C5 Estate VTR - Teriffic machine. I wish it weren't so complicated though.
Xantia 1.9td Mk1 - Owned for 8 years, loved it to bits. RIP
Land Rover Series 1 - Owned for 19 years, ditto.
Triumph Herald 1200 - Owned for 21 years but in desperate need of a restoration. Spare lottery win anyone?

Xantia handbrake cables

Post by MFHBlueberry »

Good day to you all.

I pulled up the other day and applied the h/brake and something went pop and the lever now rises way to high. H/brake only works now on the passenger side of the car only...

Any hints and tips for the replacement of the cables? Can I do it without the use of ramps?

Kind regards,
Matthew.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Re: Xantia handbrake cables

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

The fact that it is the right hand cable is good news, as there are only a couple of options (maybe only one), while for the left hand cable has numerous lengths (for the different gearboxes). You can do it without ramps, but the car will need to be properly supported, as you have to take off the wheel to access the handbrake cable where it connects with the brake calliper. Make sure there is plenty of height, as you will be a long way under the car. If you have one, the Haynes BoL is (unusually) helpful here, as it is accurate.

You will need to make sure the car cannot move, as you will not be able to use the handbrake to hold her. Wedge both rear wheels so they cannot roll in either direction. Some of what you will do will be by feel (where the cable goes into the linkage by the exhaust), as you will not be able to look and work at the same time.

EDIT; Just had a look, and found that GSF do have the right cable, but not the left one. If you go onto their website and type in the REG at the relevant point you may get better info. The cable was about £17.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Please see the very last post by me in this thread:

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... &start=225

Getting the correct handbrake cables for some models of Xantia is tricky, and the labelling of the cables on GSF is misleading!

It would be helpful to say what model of Xantia you have and what engine is fitted.

Personally I would not fit only one cable - the other one will either be about to go, or be seizing with age. Get both cables and do the job properly, once. :wink:

The job is a bit of a pain in the butt if you haven't done it before, you won't want to do it a second time when the other cable goes!
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
MFHBlueberry
My Cars: C5 Estate VTR - Teriffic machine. I wish it weren't so complicated though.
Xantia 1.9td Mk1 - Owned for 8 years, loved it to bits. RIP
Land Rover Series 1 - Owned for 19 years, ditto.
Triumph Herald 1200 - Owned for 21 years but in desperate need of a restoration. Spare lottery win anyone?

Post by MFHBlueberry »

Thanks for the replies guys!

Got a day off today so was gonna stick my head underneath and have a look-see but whatdayaknow? Pouring with rain.

:roll:

: )
Carsten S
My Cars: 2001 Citroen C5 V6 aut.

Post by Carsten S »

The cables are actually quite easy to replace;
Raise the car, and place it on some stands (don't know the correct term, sorry). Remove the wheels and disconnect the cables out there. Now here is the trick; cut the cables ~50 cm from the guides over the exhaust heatshield and pull the outer sleeve off. Take ~30 cm 8mm air hose* and slide over the inner cable, push it till you can feel a natural stop, then push/pull the inner cable 2-3 times, and click, it's off.

To install the new cable, get a helper to push/pull in the inner cable, when you are holding the outer cable in place over the heatshield. You feel a click, and it's done. Install the cable to the guiderings, and attach it at the brake calipers.
I can do the job in 30 minuttes, without even stressing :)
I'm not a native english speaker, so please ask, if something is difficult to understand.

* The type of airhose you use on "push-in couplings";
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Be very careful to make sure that the end of the cable is properly secured at the lever end. They can click a bit but not seat fully. The first one I fitted is somewhere on the a5 where it fell off for this reason.