1.9 td possible pump issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

les
Locked user account

1.9 td possible pump issue

Post by les »

Afternoon chaps hoping someone can shed any light on a couple of issues that have cropped up. Car has started to idle very rough from cold start, had to use primer bulb twice in the last 2 weeks 3rd problem. When slowing for junctions etc when going down the gears from around 1900 to 1100 revs car is kangerooing quite badly once revs get to 1100 seems to smooth out.Otherwise drives fine no power loss,missfiring etc. No recent work has been carried out nothing disturbed.Air box and filter all clean fuel filter clean checked all unions banjos etc no sign of fuel leaks could this be a possible fueling/pump issue.Car is a 98 td.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: 1.9 td possible pump issue

Post by CitroJim »

Les, without a doubt this is the old air ingress issue... Bosch pumps are terrible for it and it won';t be a problem with the pump but either with the leakoff pipes or the fuel filter housing...

A perish in a fuel pipe or small leak in the fuel filter will not leak diesel but it will draw air and upset the pump.

I'd renew the leakoff pipes first - those are the small black pipes that daisy-chain between injectors and back to the pump, paying particular attention to the end blanking cap as this one often splits.

Then suspect the fuel filter... They often draw air through the white plug-like thing on the side which is the end of the fuel heater thermostat..

there's a lot of topics on this forum on this very subject.

Air in the fuel can be seen if you replace the feed from the filter to the pump inlet banjo with a bit of translucent pipe..

Also, the primer bulb can perish and draw in air, as can any joint in the fuel lines anywhere...

Basically, Bosch pumps hate air...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

CitroJim wrote:as can any joint in the fuel lines anywhere...
and don't forget the rubber fuel lines themselves, as they'll be getting to an age where they may develop cracks in the walls. They'll not be so flexible now, and may object to being moved about.
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Harlequin
Donor 2023
My Cars: Xantia Activa - one day I`ll own her again! Also miss my `old` 405 GLx4
2005 C5 3 Litre V6 Exclusive in Mauritius Blue and my 1997 Xantia Exclusive V6

Post by Harlequin »

also and a long shot - when mine did it (air in fuel line) - it was actually the fuel filter housing that had a tiny crack in:(
Simon
les
Locked user account

Post by les »

Thanks for the replies.Took a little slack out of the outer of the throttle cable sprayed WD 40 on any moving parts on the pump. This was yesterday did not go out in the car came in and posted the problem. Went to work this morning cold start rough idle still present but kangerooing seems to have gone at present. I have got leak off pipe and a couple of meters of fuel line ordered . Will also check to see what seals are available for the filter housing.
les
Locked user account

Post by les »

Well after taking slack out of the throttle cable, lubricating throttle pump lever the chugging when slowing down with no throttle on has not returned. Glow plug replacement has cured rough cold start idle.Just returned from Dorset after a short break covered just shy of 700 miles all trouble free. Just treated it to filter kit new oil and break pads all round.( rear caliper mounting surface very badly pitted cleaned them up and applied a large amount of copper grease) I imagine it will not be long before they are corroding again and being pulled out of line.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Excellent news Les :D
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...