[CLOSED] OT : Any Windows MCSEs out there?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

superloopy
My Cars:

[CLOSED] OT : Any Windows MCSEs out there?

Post by superloopy »

My current Windows 8.1 has been arrived at via free upgrades from Microsoft all along the line since I first installed Vista way back and has been just fine ...

Today i'm being told that i need to activate my Windows 8.1 .... anyone know why?

More importantly, i have no product keys as a result of the previous installations other than an original Vista Ultimate key which doesnt work and the updates being automatic so what exactly is it asking for?
Last edited by superloopy on 30 Mar 2016, 22:42, edited 2 times in total.
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Re: OT : Any Windows MCSEs out there?

Post by Paul-R »

I'm certainly no MCSE but I wasn't aware of any free upgrades between versions of Windows from Vista to 8.1. The only free one is from W7 and W8.1 to W10. I suspect that you may have been upgrading illegally somehow. Can you tell us how? Without compromising yourself of course!
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I'm not an expert but this is how I think you can sort it:

Hold down the Windows key + R this will bring up a box to type in, type slui 4 (there's a space between the i and the 4)
You will get another screen with instructions on how to proceed with a list of numbers and the Microsoft auto activate phone number (choose your country) you will need a pen and paper to write down the long numbers before phoning and to write down the key after (and a clear voice to talk to the machine :) 0
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Window 8.1 Arrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggggggggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!

<runs away screaming>
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

Win 8 and 8.1 can be made to look and act half decently if you install Classic Shell. It took me about a day to strip out all the useless Apps, flying sidebars and other extraneous nonsense.

Not sure about W10 though. It may look better but I believe it's more nosey about you than the NSA pre Edward Snowden.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Paul-R wrote:I'm certainly no MCSE but I wasn't aware of any free upgrades between versions of Windows from Vista to 8.1. The only free one is from W7 and W8.1 to W10. I suspect that you may have been upgrading illegally somehow. Can you tell us how? Without compromising yourself of course!
You're quite right ....

Pukka Windows Vista upgraded to Windows 7 (free) then to Windows 8 Pro (free) then to Windows10 (free) ..... ugghhhh .... downgraded to Windows 8 then offerred upgrade to Windows 8.1 (free) which is where i'm at now. But ... at Windows 7 i purchased MCE add-on which was migrated to Windows 8 (free) BUT Windows 8.1 does NOT include MCE and now i am showing my OS as Windows 8.1 with MediaCenter Build 9600 and a generic install key which wont activate. Neither will my original VIsta or Windows 7 keys. So ... what's going on and how long will i be able to keep on typing I wonder?
Mike

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I think if you follow the instructions I gave above you will get it activated even if it's not genuine, Microsoft have become less fussy about the older stuff being bogus now and probably let you continue just to keep you on board Windows.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Gibbo2286 wrote:I think if you follow the instructions I gave above you will get it activated even if it's not genuine, Microsoft have become less fussy about the older stuff being bogus now and probably let you continue just to keep you on board Windows.
Tried that ... non-genuine key quoted even though its listed as a 'generic' installation key for my product on microsoft site itself! Somehow got there on my reversion from windows 10. Strange eh. They definitely want to force you onto the latest version.

Transferred across to operator but worse than useless as the volume at HIS end was unintelligibly low, more than likely on purpose. So i'm no further forward.
Mike

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Windows 10 is free for about a year from public release (until 28/7/2016 I believe) if you have a qualifying product and that in a nutshell is only from Windows 7 on. Windows Vista and previous are not eligible for the free upgrade. I suspect you may have an OEM windows software DVD - such as DELL or Lenovo - and these don't need activating as long as they are installed on certain OEM systems. You can off course change the licence key if you have purchased a retail key and from there, once activated, you should be entitled to the free Windows 10 upgrade. There are no licence keys for Windows 10 for the free upgrade - the key is automatically created from your original PC's hardware ID as part of the upgrade process. Once activated with Microsoft - you can always install Windows 10 again and it won't ask for a key as it is registered with Microsoft's servers - so long as you don't make major hardware changes like new motherboard or BIOS etc.

So - if your goal is to get a legit copy of Windows 10, then I suggest the easiest way to do this is:
1) Decide on the version of Windows 7 you need (32 or 64 bit and then what edition - Home Professional or Ultimate etc).
2) Buy a Windows 7 product key only from a company disposing of their older Windows 7 kit - there are a few sellers. Technically they are selling you the old hardware - although these have been
decommissioned, but you will be emailed the activation key.
Here is one example - although they are offering you the DVD media as well (full install - not an upgrade disk):
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Windows-7-Pro ... rkt%3D1%26

3) You will need to reinstall Windows 7 from either an ISO file (I have a link if you need this - let me know the version you want) or use a Windows 7 DVD for the version you want to install - see pint (2) above if you don't have a full Windows 7 install DVD.
4) Install Windows 7 and then activate it using your purchased Key.
5) Once activated, you should then be offered the free upgrade from Microsoft to Windows 10 for the corresponding version you have (Windows 7 Starter, Basic Premium to Windows 10 Home, Windows 7 Pro and Ultimate to Windows 10 Pro) as part of the normal Windows update process, although it could take a while for the update to arrive. The Windows update relevant to the 'Get Windows 10' is knowledge base number KB3035583 for reference.
6) Windows 10 will then download and auto activate.

Hope this is of use :-D

Edit - I see problem solved now! Took a little while to type up, hence overlap!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Problem's not solved. I'm stuffed ... and NO I DO NOT WANT A COPY OF WINDOWS 10. Thats the cause of all my problems. This is a known problem which microsoft try their hardest to dismiss as counterfeiting. Rang them for a callback ... it never came. Reckon my install is on borrowed time now ...and its legit cos i've had my free upgrade to windows10 for a second time flag itself every time i reboot. I DO NOT WANT IT it's far too intrusive and geared towards toychy feely screens. It'll be the death of MS as a desktop os.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Last edited by superloopy on 30 Mar 2016, 15:58, edited 2 times in total.
Mike

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

^^ Do what Marc says and just stick with a legit version of Win 7. Or install Linux....
Richard W
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Well you can just follow my guide to get Windows 7 back on if that's what you want, activate it and leave it at that.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Havent got a copy of win7 now though ....

I've just found my purchase receipt for windows 8 mediacenter addon. Apparently thats the key that should have been carried forward to 8.1 via the upgrade. When i updated and then downgraded from windows10 somehow that key was wiped and replaced with a generic oem install key and because the mediacenter key is/was specific to windows 8 it will not now accept it against my windows 8.1 installation and the genetic key has run its course it seems.

So its dead simple ... swap my mediacenter 8 key for a mediacenter 8.1 one. Getting that done is the hard bit.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Mike

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I really can't understand your Windows 10 phobia, I've been using it since it was first offered, moved up from 7 Ultimate and it hasn't missed a beat, I also moved my old HP laptop up through Vista and 7 on to 10 without any problem, I think it's great.
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Re: RE: Re: OT : Any Windows MCSEs out there?

Post by BenC5HDi »

Gibbo2286 wrote:I really can't understand your Windows 10 phobia, I've been using it since it was first offered, moved up from 7 Ultimate and it hasn't missed a beat, I also moved my old HP laptop up through Vista and 7 on to 10 without any problem, I think it's great.
Nor me. 10 is the best version of Windows I've ever used and that's after 24 years working in IT..

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk