2CV knocking noise when turning right

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

shayeandcelia
New User
My Cars: 1981 2CV
1972 Ami
1974 2CVTruckette

2CV knocking noise when turning right

Post by shayeandcelia »

I have a 1981 Right Hand drive 2Cv that now makes a knocking sound (speed dependent, thunk thunk thunk) when I turn right. I just put new tires on this car and the front right tire had worn down to the wires. I think the sound is coming from the front, but I can't really tell ! I greased the king pins and the other grease fitting on the shaft. They really didn't appear to take much grease. The car did not make this noise until I gave it new tires. I also checked and put all the tire pressures at 26 psi. Looking for some "sound" advice on this ! Thanks, Celia from Merritt Island
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Re: 2CV knocking noise when turning right

Post by BenC5HDi »

Fronts should be 20, rear 26.. but this won't make the noise. Sounds like the joint in the driveshaft is worn.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
shayeandcelia
New User
My Cars: 1981 2CV
1972 Ami
1974 2CVTruckette

Post by shayeandcelia »

Thanks for the update on tire pressures. I will lower the fronts to 20, although that seems to make them bulge a bit more than I'd like. They are Firestones, not the good old Michelins. I will check into the joint in the driveshaft. If this is the problem, can I keep driving it for a bit longer? Or is this one of those catastrophic failure items? Thanks again! - Celia
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If it only started with the change of tyres, try swapping the front and rear wheels and see if it persists or changes. Sometimes new tyres have defects that can cause this.
Although I do think that Ben's diagnosis is nearer the mark, considering the excessive wear before the tyre change.

And welcome to the FCF. Not many Americans on here.
Lenny
My Cars: 1986 2cv Charleston
1986 2cv Special
2010 C5 2.0HDi Exclusive Tourer Auto
1992 VW Corrado VR6
1970 Vw Beetle

Post by Lenny »

My money would be on rusty wheels.
They rust where the face of the wheel is spot welded to the rim and the joint (on the back of the wheel) bulges.
There's very little clearance between the wheel and the bottom of the kingpin housing so the bulging joint catches on every rotation.
A quick bash with a hammer should sort it out for now but make sure they don't leak air, then start saving up for some new rims.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Have you checked the inner driveshaft bolts to see if they are tight against the Gearbox/front brake discs/ Hubs?
My money is on a worn CV joint on a driveshaft although the rusty wheel is new to me.
How long is it since grease was pumped through the grease nipples on the shafts to lube the CV joints?
I grease the Kingpins twice a year a tad over cautious I know but I'm on an oversize kingpin on the off side.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.