Xantia front lower arms fitted, at last!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

HDI
My Cars:

Xantia front lower arms fitted, at last!

Post by HDI »

So I finally managed to fit a new pair of lower arms on Friday. Wasn't too bad a job, on a ramp. Wouldn't like to do it on the ground though! The ones that came off were totally shagged! No wonder the handling had become strange! Remembered to do the final bolt tightening with the car at normal ride height. Driving back the car was transformed! Today though, the front became very bouncy and at a stop I noticed the ride height was too low. I knew what it most likely was and when I had a look sure enough the plastic link on the height corrector had popped off at the AR bar end! Must have been all the wrestling that I did with the AR bar fitting the arms! It's back on after grovelling around underneath and all back to normal.
The arms that came off don't look that old so I reckon they were fitted without respecting the correct tightening technique. Result, shredded bushes!
I might fit new bushes to them so I have a spare set if they're ever needed.
My last Xantia never needed new arms and I put 160K miles on that, odo read 210K when I scrapped it!
Last edited by HDI on 28 Mar 2016, 23:42, edited 1 time in total.
Now using '00 Xantia LX HDI, pov spec :(
My past Citroens :-
'00 Xantia SX HDI, now dead due to accident :(
'99 Xantia HDI 110 Exclusive, RIP :(
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
'79 CX2400 Pallas (scrapped :( )
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia front lower arms fitted, at last!

Post by CitroJim »

Good work :D Well done! Actually, they're not that bad to do without a lift I find...

It's misalignment that kills them very quickly... You have to be very careful when installing them to get it right... I always keep a gash pair as templates...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

CitroJim wrote: It's misalignment that kills them very quickly... You have to be very careful when installing them to get it right... I always keep a gash pair as templates...
You mean when fitting new bushes to the arms?
This time I fitted new arms complete with bushes fitted. Didn't have the time to mess around removing old and fitting new bushes :wink:
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

HDI wrote: You mean when fitting new bushes to the arms?
Yes, indeed I do :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Ongoing, I just cannot believe the improvement that the new control arms have made to ride and handling! All the harshness, noise and general nastiness has been eliminated and the turn in, straightline stablity and general handling precision has been transformed. Just goes to show how a very gradual deterioration can become accepted as normal.
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Yes indeed, it's often not a bad idea to let a trusted friend drive your cars occasionally to detect any gradual changes...

Delighted all is now really good again :D
Jim

HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Strange you say that, a mate who came to gloat at my task was apalled at the state of the bushes on the old arms and said " that must have been a sack of **** to drive, how did you not notice?"!! I am suitably ashamed!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

One thing I forgot to mention, when removing the nearside control arm I discovered that the ball joint was loose in the hub carrier!! Had to tighten it with a punch and hammer as I didn't have a C spanner with me at the time. Could have been nasty! This is a car that is supposed to have had a good service history, bought from a forum member! I've found other botchery during servicing attention, shows you can't accept anything you are told when buying used cars!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Gosh yes, that could have been lethal!! The balljoint must always be peened into the hub to prevent this... Did you check and peen it if necessary?

You'll find two cutouts for the peening... Just drive into the cutouts with a hammer and punch. It'll never come loose again then!

It should also be Loctited in too...
Jim

BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Re: RE: Re: Xantia front lower arms fitted, at last!

Post by BenC5HDi »

HDI wrote:I've found other botchery during servicing attention, shows you can't accept anything you are told when buying used cars!
I think we've all found botchery when buying used cars. I've bought cars with no history at all that have been better than ones I've bought with a full dealer history.

I find when I'm selling a car, if I describe it as a total shed, there can be no comeback on me, and I usually get an easier sale!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: Xantia front lower arms fitted, at last!

Post by daviemck2006 »

BenC5HDi wrote:
HDI wrote:I've found other botchery during servicing attention, shows you can't accept anything you are told when buying used cars!
I think we've all found botchery when buying used cars. I've bought cars with no history at all that have been better than ones I've bought with a full dealer history.

I find when I'm selling a car, if I describe it as a total shed, there can be no comeback on me, and I usually get an easier sale!

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
Jim and I were discussing the "merits" of a dealer service history yesterday. I laugh when selling a 10 year old shed worth 300 quid when buyers ask for a service history then won't even come see the car when there isn't one!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
HDI
My Cars:

Post by HDI »

Agreed, stealer service history is often worthless, especially on cars more than 3 years old. This one is supposed to have been owned by an 'engineer' who knew what he was doing though! Probably a sewerage engineer then!
Wealthy (very!) friend of mine has a Lambo and Ferrari in his garage amongst other things, and takes great pleasure in boasting how much servicing costs him! How about £6500 for a new clutch in the Ferrari! He was proud of these servicing bills, until I pointed out several missing bolts in the engine bay! Sort of makes you wonder what else they 'forgot'! And this is the main concessionare!!
'97 Xantia TD SX
'96 Xantia TD LX
'96 ZX TD
'89 BX TD
'88 AX GT
& a couple of Peugeots !