Xantia TD - Temperature?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

angle

Xantia TD - Temperature?

Post by angle »

Right, this might be me worrying over nothing but I have a Xantia TD. It had been sitting for six months or so over winter, but before that the temperature gauge would basically read bang on the middle of the dial (80) in pretty much all conditions - maybe in traffic it would nudge just above it, but that was it.

When I brought it back out of hibernation, it would generally sit about ten degrees lower and only hit 80 in heavy traffic. Right, so new thermostat fitted. Back to normal - until I went to get new spheres fitted, at which point the garage pointed out the water peeing out of the radiator. OK, new radiator and coolant.

For the last two weeks after that, including a few long motorway runs, everything was as it used to be. However, coming round the M25 last weekend at 80-ish, I noticed the temperature had hit 90 - not something I'd seen before. Backed off to 60-ish and the temprature crept down until it went back to the middle of the gauge again. Since then, the same thing is happening - using 3k RPM or so for any period of time sees the temperature creep up, below this is fine. Coolant level is staying at the top, hoses getting warm as normal, no mayo under the oil cap or obvious signs of the coolant pressurising and both fans working as they should.

A look on Google is suggesting other people with XUDs saying they normally run at 90, so is this normal and am I worrying about nothing? Alternatively, what else should I be checking?

Many thanks for any help.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: Xantia TD - Temperature?

Post by white exec »

Presume the new rad is of the correct type and fitted properly, eg no kinked hoses, or air trapped at the top of the rad, reducing its effectiveness.
Possible that system wasn't bled completely, and that there's still an air pocket in there somewhere, causing reduced circulation, just when you need it most?
Chris
angle

Post by angle »

I really hope its the right rad, it sat in the garage for a week while their supplier sent a variety of wrong ones. No obvious sign of kinked hoses anywhere, at least looking from the top of the engine. Air lock might be a good suggestion, although I can't work out why it would have been working OK for a bit before it started getting hotter (it did ~500 motorway miles before this started happening). Bleeding XUDs is meant to be fun*, right?
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Also wonder whether your new thermostat might be sluggish/sticky/not opening fully, where you say as you eased off from 80 down to 60, the temp crept down, but then went up again. Does sound as if the cooling system has become a bit marginal, unable to cope with all the extra fuelling that comes with higher speeds (fuel consumption increases significantly 75++). There are defective thermostats around, even new. Might be worth whipping out and testing, or even going for a spin without one, if all the bleeding isn't too much hassle.

I take it there is only one 'stat in that engine? My memory of an XUD is that they do benefit by being filled and bled with a header bottle/container in position, and run up to fan cut-in temp several times to ensure all the air is purged. Good few bleed screws, iirc.
Chris