ML5C Gearbox stuck in 5th on C5 2.0 HDi 16v

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tenacious T
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 HDi 16v (DOHC) Estate 2002

ML5C Gearbox stuck in 5th on C5 2.0 HDi 16v

Post by Tenacious T »

Hi all, Can anybody tell me how the end cover of the ML5C ( or ML5T) gearbox can be removed. I have removed all the visible fixing bolts but the cover is stuck fast. I have read that earlier boxes (BE4R,BE3 ) use sealant instead of a gasket, but judicious tapping and prying makes me wonder if it may be glued. My sisters C5 02 Estate DOHC 2.0 HDi 16v has stuck in 5th gear and I wish to inspect the 5th gear synchro and selector fork.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: ML5C Gearbox stuck in 5th on C5 2.0 HDi 16v

Post by CitroJim »

On am ML5T (Xantia) it's a rubbery gasket and the tin cover normally comes off quite easily but it might well be well stuck with sealant..

Be careful when removing the 5th gear synchro as balls and springs can make desperate attempts to escape!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Tenacious T

Post by Tenacious T »

Thanks Jim, I will persevere with gentle persuasion. Thanks for the warning about the synchro balls, I read your thread on 15mm sleeve to retain them and plan to use copper pipe.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Watching with great interest to see what you find when you inspect...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I knocked a little cup with a few hundred 1mm ball bearings over the other day.
I keep finding them all over the ground floor of the house :(
Tenacious T

Post by Tenacious T »

Update.... In case this is helpful to anyone, It is possible to remove the gearbox end cover and access the fifth gear and synchromesh. I removed the synchro and found that the gear pinion had welded itself to the shaft. I was able to remove the other smaller gear pinion, which left the gearbox functioning, but without fifth gear. This was enough to verify that clutch, flywheel, engine etc were all fine, and replacing the gearbox was a viable option. I would add that oil starvation was clearly the cause, and that there was not enough oil in the box. So much for "filled for life, checking and replacing oil not required". Thanks to Jim for detailed instruction on how to dismantle synchromesh.