crazy oil leak, Picasso 1.8 2002

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stupidxantia

crazy oil leak, Picasso 1.8 2002

Post by stupidxantia »

Recently I decided to return to my French cars again, I don't know what draws me to them because they always cause me issues!

The newest fleet addition is predictably a 2002 Picasso exclusive. It was £200 with a years test and is just shy of 145k! The kids love it, I love driving it and not ever having to care about it cosmetically and until I changed the top gaskets, this car has worked very well indeed.

There was copious amounts of oil all over everything because the top gaskets were leaking and the breather system had left this mortal realm.
I have replaced the top gasket set, rigged up the breather to atmosphere under the car and cleaned nearly ever trace of oil away!
What would you know??? The hateful thing thinks its now a very good idea to throw all of the engine oil kept on the inside all over the floor, gearbox, subframe and power steering pipes!

When you run the car there is a constant drip from the 2 power steering lines under the sump and also from the big alloy block that sits on the rear of the gearbox (what is that anyway?) and when you turn it off .. It sits dripping all over the road, all night and into the morning!

At first because of mileage and oil leak location I assumed possible rear main seal, but then I got told with that amount of oil I wouldn't have a clutch! Also someone else has suggested that the head gasket has failed, yet the car still runs well .... That is aside the 5litre consumption of oil a week and permanent white smoke out of the exhaust, the exhaust smoke smells like the engine is running extremely rich and not of burning oil!

Any thoughts or suggestions as to what this is would be welcomed greatly! I am one off ripping out the engine and stuffing a 2.0 from an auto in there.
Thanks in advance guys!

Forgot to add it's got the 1.8 and manual gearbox*
stupidxantia

Re: crazy oil leak, Picasso 1.8 2002

Post by stupidxantia »

:?:
RayJamm
My Cars: 2002 Citroen Xsara Picasso 1.6 Petrol

Re: crazy oil leak, Picasso 1.8 2002

Post by RayJamm »

Does sound like a head gasket to me.