Berlingo cooling fluid problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Element
My Cars: 2004 Partner 2.0 Hdi

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Berlingo cooling fluid problem

Post by Element »

I have a 2.0 Hdi, 2005 Berlingo which has recently begun a weird coolant problem..

The red 'STOP' message comes up on the dash coupled with the red radiator symbol. This can happen even when the car is cold. I lift the bonnet and see that the expansion tank is showing coolant to be low. So I unscrew the top and at a certain point there's a rush of air out of it and the fluid level comes back virtually to normal again; as though air was in the system. When I then screw the top back on & close the bonnet, drive 2-5 minutes, I get the same intermittent beep beep beep and the same warning signs. Its as though the coolant isn't flowing properly. When I have a hot engine it does the same but the engine temp never really goes up to 90 except on a motorway, the gauge needle generally stays down in the 70-85* section.
Did a long journey 1000 miles on motorways last week and this pattern was all the time but it did need fluid to top up here and there so some was coming out. I could see the top of the expansion tank was a bit wet and figured it was just being forced out through the top under a lot of pressure...
It might be a faulty thermostat but it generally doesn't overheat as such - saying that we don't really have much warm temperatures here at the moment...

Any ideas?
Peugeot Partner, 2.0 Hdi, 2004
Perthshire
Bick

Re: Berlingo cooling fluid problem

Post by Bick »

Hi Element, if its pressurising it could be the head gasket or a cracked head but both are unusual on the 2.0hdi you dont say how many miles are on it?

Of course it could also be the water pump impeller has come away from the drive? When was the cambelt last changed was the water pump replaced at the same time.

If you find a good garage they will be able to pressure test the system and confirm or discount the head gasket, you can also get a chemical kit now that will tell you if there are any combustion gasses in the coolant.
Element

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

It has 108k miles. Had the timing belt changed last year but not the water pump, I have had a water pump impeller fail on 2 other cars and the symptoms were different in that 1 had water/coolant flooding out and the other if I recall had a whining screech sound coming from it & both would overheat whereas this isn't really overheating.. yet! :) I could probably take it to a local garage & ask them to diagnose the problem.. kind of trying to avoid all garages these days and do as much as I can myself but this one has me stumped :)
Perthshire
Bick

Post by Bick »

I understand what you mean about avoiding garages - but a good one will have a pressure tester and know how to use it to test the head gasket. Does seem very odd though at such low milage?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Rare, but not unknown on the 2.0 HDi. Try these: take cap off cold, does it hiss? Refit cap, start engine, run for a couple of minutes, take cap off, does it hiss? Look into the header tank with engine running - can you see bubbles rising? Answer yes to any of these and odds on the head gasket is away.
Richard W
Element

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

I'll try that tomorrow..
Perthshire