Basic MK1 Berlingo buying advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

matthewmoore3
My Cars: Citroen Berlingo

Basic MK1 Berlingo buying advice

Post by matthewmoore3 »

Hi!

I am hoping I can get some advice about purchasing a early model Citroen Berlingo.

I am on a tight budget and I am looking for a no frills low mileage late 90's model with long MOT, something such as this (I am living in germany, btw):

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/detai ... =223452268

Anything to look out for?

I wish to get one with as few electrics and complexities as possible in the hope it will be cheaper to maintain and less to go wrong. Really I am just looking for any extra insight, recommendations or opinions about getting a basic no frills Berlingo which will hopefully be dependable or atleast not too costly to repair. Am I right to think maintenance costs could be relatively low on such a model?

Is there a particular year range that is optimal before any unfavorable revisions, any particular year range to avoid etc...

Ideally I want to find something simple, functional, no funny sensor lights on the dash, no central locking, no electric windows, straightforward engine, no computer units etc... as little as possible!

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: Basic MK1 Berlingo buying advice

Post by RichardW »

The early ones with the small headlights have less electronics t go wrong as they are not multiplexed. All will have some sort of ECU, but the one on the 1.8 DW8 engine rarely gives trouble, and is very simple. Watch out for rust in the inner front wings, and leaning in back wheels which indicate the trailing arm bearings have failed - needs a replacement rear axle if this is the case. The pre HDi diesels are a bit slow, not all have PAS, and creeping legislation may ban them from cities in the not too distant future!
Richard W
matthewmoore3

Post by matthewmoore3 »

Thanks Richard..

I see they did a 'facelift' in 2002... when you say 'The early ones with the small headlights have less electronics t go wrong', would all Berlingos 1997-2002 be more or less the same from that point of view (and unmultiplexed), aside from the differences in the spec of the models?

Perhaps a pre facelift 2.0 HDi 09/1999 - 10/2002 could be a good option, do you think that would be more or less free of excess electronic complications, whilst having a bit more reasonable performance? Would the ECU be quite simple?

As a side quesiton from a technical/potential expense perspective would ABS be considered a complication? as it is an optional extra on that model
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

matthewmoore3 wrote:Thanks Richard..

I see they did a 'facelift' in 2002... when you say 'The early ones with the small headlights have less electronics t go wrong', would all Berlingos 1997-2002 be more or less the same from that point of view (and unmultiplexed)
Mk 1 berlingos became multiplexed around 2000 so the later pre facelift ones with the small headlights can still be multiplexed with a BSI.
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

Having spent many, many miles in both sorts (I had a MK1 1998 model as a company van for 18 months and over 80k miles) and I now own a 2004 plate MK2 Multispace, I would recommend the 2.0HDi version over the earlier one. For a start, it's likely to have less miles, therefore less abuse, the HDi engine is considerably more economical than the older engine, and performs considerably better.

The electronics aren't that scary really. Arm yourself with a lexia clone and a cheap laptop and there will be very little you'll have problems with. All the problems I've encountered with the Berlingo have actually been physical wiring problems rather than control units (just today, I resolved an airbag fault that was a broken wire under a seat) or knocking suspension, which is usually ball joints or top mounts. So far, it's been a tremendously reliable vehicle in the 5 years I've owned it, from 59,000 miles up until 122,000 so far. It's never failed to start, it's never broken down on me. It's cost me, looking at receipts, £1100 in parts and labour repairs over 5 years, which isn't bad at all. That includes at least 6 tyres, and replacement of both front suspension struts, springs and top mounts.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

I agree with that. The only problems you really get with the multiplexed system on mk2 berlingo is when someone poorly fits a windscreen which then allows water straight into the BSI, certainly not the cars fault. My berlingo of choice would definitely be a mk2 2.0 HDi
matthewmoore3

Post by matthewmoore3 »

ok, thanks for the recommendations

Ill look into a mk2 2.0HDi... is there any mk1 HDi models pre-multiplexing?

Am I just being foolish to try to avoid multiplexing ect? :) Although I can see it can just be a few basic issues that come up, it is exactly such things im trying to avoid, ie getting annoyed by faulty things that have nothing to do with the general mechanical functioning of the car... that then take time to investigate and resolve... but perhaps I am just predicting problems that don't come up or are easily resolveable and would be better with something a bit newer as suggested.

I just dont want to end up in a situation where I am forking out at the garage due to some faulty sensor and stuff like that that I haven't been able to fix myself..

I drove in a friends 1990 2CV, and it seemed wonderful due to its total lack of electrics. If I could get that on a Berlingo 2.0 HDi id be happy :)