Rattly pump?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aeroboy64
My Cars: renault 19 16v cabriolet
Saab 95 hot aero

Rattly pump?

Post by aeroboy64 »

Hi following on from my other post re: suspension woes i have another problem? I had the car height adjusters moved last week and car has been floaty with no warning light on.
Yesterday i gave her a good wash and thought i would lower it to make it easier and down it plopped but when it was time to raise (normal position) the back was normal but the front was low and the only way to get it to rise was to manually lift both wings up a little at a time till it started to have some suspension travel,A quick spin round the block and all is good but the pump sounds like a bag of ball bearings?Have just listened to a mark2 and that pump just loud humming noise.
Are the mk2 pumps different to the mk3?

Thanks for any advice.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Rattly pump?

Post by GiveMeABreak »

In terms of noise the MK1, Mk2 and X7 pumps make the same type of 'electronic whirring' type of sound - the same noise as when you unlock the car in the morning - but it doesn't sound anything like ball bearings for sure!

I've searched for an easy way to convey the noise - this video (forget that he has a leaking pump) shows the typical sound it makes - althugh it doesn't go on for this long as he obviously has a leak! but you get the idea:

Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
aeroboy64
Saab 95 hot aero

Post by aeroboy64 »

GiveMeABreak wrote:In terms of noise the MK1, Mk2 and X7 pumps make the same type of 'electronic whirring' type of sound - the same noise as when you unlock the car in the morning - but it doesn't sound anything like ball bearings for sure!

I've searched for an easy way to convey the noise - this video (forget that he has a leaking pump) shows the typical sound it makes - althugh it doesn't go on for this long as he obviously has a leak! but you get the idea:

I've got one of those stephoscopes with a long metal rod on it and when pressed on pump sounds rattly? Definatley not as fast as your youtube post version though?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

When you put a stethoscope on car components, there is a whole world of rattles that opens up. :shock:
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
aeroboy64
Saab 95 hot aero

Post by aeroboy64 »

lexi wrote:When you put a stethoscope on car components, there is a whole world of rattles that opens up. :shock:
It was just to detemine the exact source of the rattle because diesel engines are not the queitest :wink:
Got the car back last after having the front dog bone fitted as my old one was a creaky and now the front won't raise but the back will and is still soft?I'm starting to lose faith in the car now :(
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

If you have tried all the usual suspects, then it needs someone with a Lexia and knowledge to use it. Faulty pump ecu or multi plug loom connections to it, duff sensors. It may be worth bleeding the pump out front and rear, though they self bleed usually. Try some pressure on fluid tank cap. I use another tank cap with a hole drilled and a Schrader tyre valve epoxied in. Put 5psi from a footpump.
If the pump is rising one end ok, then I would think it has good pressure. Not usually the pump but connections and sensor faults.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
aeroboy64
Saab 95 hot aero

Post by aeroboy64 »

Have got a replacement pump ordered as when the pump was running the lights dimmed and sometimes the engine cut out?The pump must be the culprit drawing that amount of power.
aeroboy64
Saab 95 hot aero

Post by aeroboy64 »

lexi wrote:If you have tried all the usual suspects, then it needs someone with a Lexia and knowledge to use it. Faulty pump ecu or multi plug loom connections to it, duff sensors. It may be worth bleeding the pump out front and rear, though they self bleed usually. Try some pressure on fluid tank cap. I use another tank cap with a hole drilled and a Schrader tyre valve epoxied in. Put 5psi from a footpump.
If the pump is rising one end ok, then I would think it has good pressure. Not usually the pump but connections and sensor faults.
Have had both height sensors replaced and also had a pump on the tank with 1bar and the pump still struggles to lift car and makes a grinding noise?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Shouldn't make any noises. Your options are to remove the pump and check the motor and connections. Or fit a s/h pump from a scrap car.
A bar gauge from the pump would tell you the pressure it is making, but the fact it is making noise may indicate fault in the vanes or motor.
Still plenty of options. Not sure but I think those pumps are the same throughout the whole C5 range, as long as you keep your ECU on the end of it.
Check it out first.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Lexi - The pumps do seem to vary - the price for one of these second hand is in excess of £140 - yet some other models are a lot less - so need to make sure - I think I actually tried to locate a pump earlier for aeroboy - but couldn't find one with the same part no anywhere.
It's 5277 K1 for a configurable pump and 5277 K2 for VIN configured on order for Aeroboy64's car.
For example - all X7s:-
For a 2.2 Car the pump is different (5277 P2 & P3)
For a 3.0 HDi its 5277 K5 & K6 etc...

You may have better luck sourcing a second hand one if you could get to the other part number off the unit - 10 digit I think begins 96.....

Marc
aeroboy64
Saab 95 hot aero

Post by aeroboy64 »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Lexi - The pumps do seem to vary - the price for one of these second hand is in excess of £140 - yet some other models are a lot less - so need to make sure - I think I actually tried to locate a pump earlier for aeroboy - but couldn't find one with the same part no anywhere.
It's 5277 K1 for a configurable pump and 5277 K2 for VIN configured on order for Aeroboy64's car.
For example - all X7s:-
For a 2.2 Car the pump is different (5277 P2 & P3)
For a 3.0 HDi its 5277 K5 & K6 etc...

You may have better luck sourcing a second hand one if you could get to the other part number off the unit - 10 digit I think begins 96.....
Thanks for that,I bought a used pump from an 08 2.0 hdi auto exclusive (same as mine)had 55k on the clock and worked fine before being removed (part no.9654068680) will not need coding and paid £345 inc p&p but was up for £450 originally.
As it come with the 4 main electromagnetic valves (was told these sometimes jam up and stick) should be good to go.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Great news - as I suspected not cheap for the X7 - a lot of the earlier Mk1 & 2 pumps can be had for a lot less, but when you can find an X7 one they are very pricey - but still a tad less than the £800+ for a new dealer one! Out of interest - can you confirm that the part number you mentioned (9654068680) was from your original? Also could you see the PSA Part number on there too (5277 K1 or K2)?

Marc
aeroboy64
Saab 95 hot aero

Post by aeroboy64 »

GiveMeABreak wrote:Great news - as I suspected not cheap for the X7 - a lot of the earlier Mk1 & 2 pumps can be had for a lot less, but when you can find an X7 one they are very pricey - but still a tad less than the £800+ for a new dealer one! Out of interest - can you confirm that the part number you mentioned (9654068680) was from your original? Also could you see the PSA Part number on there too (5277 K1 or K2)?
Hi.The actual ebay item number is 131741626593 and is the exact same number as the pump on my car :-D plus i will still have my old pump to pull to bits and see what the problem was?Must have been either a binding bearing or gummed up to have pulled that amount of power from the engine.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

OK from the ebay listing number I see that from the photo it is Part Number: 9654068680 (as this will be useful for X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive members for future reference). They don't always have the PSA part number on (5277 K1) so it causes extra work in identifying the correct one - especially on places like ebay and parts dealers.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 16 Mar 2016, 20:13, edited 2 times in total.

Marc
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Well good info there.
I know a few guys have just changed the armature and motor in some cases so it may be that part that is similar in MK1 and 2. Maybe a pump that feeds 4 spheres is lower power than one that feeds a 6 sphere model. Safer with same part numbers if pumps are a few shillings.

French Mistresses gone.
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2