Cat. D purchase?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Cat. D purchase?

Post by qprdude »

What are the pitfalls when buying a Cat. D car?
Any advice much appreciated.
How does insurance costs compare?
What paperwork needs to be available concerning the repair etc.
How big is the sell-on deficit likely to be.(or how much below book price should a Cat D car be?)
Is the damage/repair detail likely to be available or not. (or does it have to be available from seller)

I don't have a car in mind, but it would be good to know what the disadvantages are likely to be. I'm assuming that the AA etc would be willing to inspect a at. D car , the same as any other? :?
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Re: Cat. D purchase?

Post by BenC5HDi »

Unless you know why it was written off, and have seen the repairs for yourself, I'd simply steer clear. The whole write-off category is p**s-poor really. Sure, a cat C or D can be put back on the road . A Cat D needs no checks at all, a Cat C needs a VIC check, but this DOES NOT confirm the car's been repaired well. It's a nonsense. What is the point of having the system if no detailed information on why the car has been written off is kept?
Bick

Post by Bick »

Some insurers just require a new MOT others want an engineers report which can be costly.

Some insurance companies wont touch you some will only insure you 3rd party - i also found insurance to be more expensive.

As for resale dont even think about it you are in this for the long term with a cat D or C so only buy a car you are planning to keep a long time.

I bought my Xantia back off the insurance company because it was a good car and drove it round for years with a dent in the door and wing. But by the time i got rid of it it was not worth selling so i gave it my mate and he ran it for two more years.
Captain Slow
My Cars: C5 Estate V6

Post by Captain Slow »

Depends on the value of the car. Would I buy a 10k Cat D? Nope. Would I buy a 1k Cat D? Yep.
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!
BenC5HDi
Not Mike
My Cars: '07 Peugeot 207 1.4 "Sport" (Ha!)
'04 Berlingo Multispace 2.0 HDi with a 123BHP remap

Post by BenC5HDi »

ken newbold wrote:No VIC check any more

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-identity-check
Yes, exactly. This is why the system is ridiculous. There's no record kept of *why* it was written off for cat D or C, only that it was, and it was repairable.. it doesn't check if it's been repaired properly, which I'd see as important for a cat C. It's just a ballache to be avoided IMO.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

A Cat D car can be a great buy if you plan to keep the car for a long time. I've just bought a 2013 (October) C5 Exclusive with Techno Pack which was a Cat D write off.

My previous 2003 C5 Exclusive was also a Cat D write off and was also about 2-1/2 years old when I bought it. At the time (May 2005) I paid £5000 for it I had to do some further work on it (headlamp washer covers - which fell off and were never replaced, some bits of trim on the inside and a seat air-bag) but nothing that was legally required. It had some 75,000 miles on the clock and I have now brought that up to 225, 000. It's up for sale now at £500 with 9 months MOT. So not bad for 10-1/2 years' use.

The new car is much better and needs no work doing. It's done 32,000 miles and to be frank the paint job could have been better - but then again I notice these things as my job used to be a motor vehicle body repairer and paint sprayer. I paid £9,500 for it and I would guess a "straight" car would have been half as much again at least.

I was forwarded photos of the car after it was damaged, panel damage to both RH doors and probably F and R wings. No glass broken. It was only about 3 months old when damaged. I would guess there was some new replacement insurance agreement for it to be written off. The chap I bought it off bought it damaged from Copart and then drove it to Poland, where came from, and had it repaired over there. He then drove it for the next two years and, if his plans hadn't changed and he had to move back to Poland, would probably still be driving it now.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Thanks for the advice everyone.
Rick.

Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

My Activa was a Cat C, i didnt recieve a logbook when i bought it as the DVLA effectivly confiscated it, i drove the car, taxing it online and going through a couple of MOT's for a couple of years and before selling it i got a VIC done for £50 and recieved the logbook, i sold it for very good money compared to most Activae back then.
Insurance premiums are higher but i never told the insurance, i wasnt asked if it was a write off and i did not give up the information.

As mentioned the catagory of writeoff is for the purposes of repair only not future buyers, a 15 year old car could be a CAT C for a broken headlight and scratched bonnet, a one year old car would require the side of the car to be torn off or in the case of a friend and his Boxster S which he bought to repair, rolled over and the rear suspension ripped of.
As you see, how much the car is worth at the time of the acident will dictate how much damage is required to class it as a CAT C or D and i also would not buy an expensive CAT writeoff unless i was repairing it, i was looking to keep it for a long time and i couldnt otherwise afford that vehicle or if it was so cheap to buy and repair i would still make money on it when selling.

Of course we are not even touching on the unclassified writeoff's that can be bought and repaired with no mark against them.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

My c5 was a cat c after I bumped it. Basically a headlight and bumper would have fixed it. Problem was a headlight at £1500 and a bumper at £1800 from Citroen, on a car valued at £2250.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

daviemck2006 wrote:My c5 was a cat c after I bumped it. Basically a headlight and bumper would have fixed it. Problem was a headlight at £1500 and a bumper at £1800 from Citroen, on a car valued at £2250.
Was that the one you had at Kemnay Davie?
Rick.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

Yes. It was after that I bumped it though. It was next to nothing but cat c Image

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
qprdude

Post by qprdude »

Shame that Davie, it was a decent looking car.
Rick.

daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)

Post by daviemck2006 »

It's back on the road now, I couldn't source a headlight or I would probably still have it.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
In the family
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
osx
(Donor 2022)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: GSA X
BX 1.6
C5 X7 Auto
C5 X7x2 Manual

Post by osx »

Rule or thumb - stay clear unless you were there when it was written off. I can guarantee that 99.9% of sellers will come up with stories about how minor the damage was (not the actual one - but the one they want you to believe happened) and some will even produce receipts (again not related to the actual damage).
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Auto
C5 X7 Exclusive 2.0 HDi Manual