1.6 hdi c4 grand picasso turbo solenoid location

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paultintin
My Cars: C4 grand picasso 1.6 hdi

Re: 1.6 hdi c4 grand picasso turbo solenoid location

Post by paultintin »

Someone said it's near the drivers side drive shaft but access is best from below. To make things worse I must of turned the brake reservoir upside down or something as my brakes weren't working correctly so I got to bleed them now as well. Oh the joys of owning a citroen

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

There's no procedure for the solenoid, but the book time to change it is only 30 mins, so it can't be very hard.

Unlikely you need to bleed the brakes - you've lost the vacuum somewhere, that's why they appear not to be working (I know from experience that if there is no vacuum the brakes are very poor!!!)
Richard W
paultintin

Post by paultintin »

Ok so do u think somewhere I have trapped a vacuum pipe. I had the scuttle and everything off and have a feeling i knocked the brake fluid reservoir upside down for a while and thought maybe i let some air into the system as Everything went back together tidy except the pain getting the bracket holding the cooler and the egr valve was a pain to do up. I had a hard peddle and.little brake power it wad fine the firat few times i used them then went like that. I suppose it's 30 mins if u have a lift or a pit to get under the car as I can't imagine it's difficult just a pain with its location. If I could lay under the car and reach it I would do it but can't see it being that's easy lol really appreciate all the info and help it's certainly helped alot

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Probably broken or a pipe has fallen off somewhere - it's all on the same system, so any failure will give failure of the brake assistance. Check you haven't knocked the pipe off the pump (front of the head in front of the fuel filter) - it's quite fragile and vulnerable in that location.

Yeah, vac solenoid should be easy enough if you can get the front up on ramps or even jack it onto axle stands.
Richard W
paultintin

Post by paultintin »

Ah now I think about it I'm fairly certain I disconnected a pipe around that area and It was bugging me as I couldn't remember putting it back so your probably bang on the money with that one. I can't make my mind up order the solenoid and give it a go or just let dealership do it wonder how much they will charge just for the solenoid and then fitting on top if it's crazy money will just buy it and find a way to get to it. Thanks again

paultintin

Post by paultintin »

I do have a set of ramps and was going to do the oil change so may buy the solenoid and attempt both going to be a long day as got oil changes on mine my partners and my dad's car plus other odd jobs to do.

BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

I very much doubt that the fault is actually with the solenoid. Is there anything else not working. This fault is often due to a fault in the BSM. The supply to the solenoid missing or intermittent due to dry jointed relays.
paultintin

Post by paultintin »

Only thing that came up on diagnostic was turbo solenoid fault. Garage told me if they changed it they would do the turbo as well as it comes with it and would cost £1000. I passed on that and quickly found u can do the solenoid separately citroen even sell it separate and it's know where near the turbo. I have ordered the solenoid be here Tuesday £95 so will get under the car check the pipe work leading to the solenoid etc and then at least I have the part to change if I can't find anything else wrong. Thanks for reply

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Depending on the age of yours I might have a spare BSM unit (underbonnet fuse box) - Ours is early 2008, and the board is expensive (later ones are much cheaper), but I changed it as I though it was causing the handbrake warning to come on (turned out to be the EGR valve) - I've still got the old board (which I think is probably OK), so if you need it let me know and we can work something out....
Richard W
paultintin

Post by paultintin »

Ok cheers mine is a 2007 1.6 hdi it had a maf sensor fault a few weeks ago when they did the diagnostic on it it showed the turbo solenoid was the only fault that wouldn't clear it also still had the maf fault but that cleared fine.

paultintin

Post by paultintin »

The brake fault was indeed a pipe that I hadn't put on correctly on the right side of the engine beneath the air pipe leading to the turbo

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

=D> #-o

Any luck on the turbo fault?
Richard W
paultintin

Post by paultintin »

The part hasn't arrived yet citroen got confused said they didn't know what the turbo solenoid was I tried to explain it is what the diagnostic is showing as faulty after much discussion they decided it's called a power booster solenoid and should be with me tomorrow. U have to chuckle when even citroen doesn't know what a part is for one of there cars. Once I've changed it I will let u know if it's worked

BX
My Cars:

Post by BX »

Check that 12V is being supplied to the valve with the ignition on.
paultintin

Post by paultintin »

Right the parts been changed but fault still exists so guessing I need to start looking for other causes. The pipe work appears fine anyone know how to check the reservoir to see if this is at fault as it's held on by cable ties so guessing it's been off before. And thanks BX I will defo check the voltage. Anyone with any other ideas on things to try or look at I would be really grateful as this is doing my nut lol thanks