Xantia ride height corrector

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nikolaymk

Xantia ride height corrector

Post by Nikolaymk »

Hi,
After some Citaerobics the other day the rear of my '95 car would not return to the normal from the service (lowest) setting. I waited 5 minutes and finally put the car to the higher setting and then lowered it back to normal.
Is this to do with the ride height corector? And where is this thing?
Also sometimes when stopping on traffic lights the rear will drop down and then adjust back to normal. Is this normal and if not - what's the likely cause?
BTW - the car has only done 56K miles
Cheers
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Look under the rear of car .
You'll find a cylindrical device with rubber end caps (lids) - and 3 steelpipes attached. It's made of alloy - silver looking if cleaned/scraped.
Size approx half the lenght of a good old cylindrical ignition coil.
This is the HC (height corrector) - and it works by link rods to the anti-rollbar - which always follows the height of car.
There is a short plastic connection piece from link rods to the HC.
Somewhere in these mechanic links you have a dry/rusty pivot point - which may seize when forced to extreme settings on the car height.
The HC itself may also seize in extreme positions - but unlikely by the lo mileage.
Nikolaymk

Post by Nikolaymk »

Thank you Anders. Does this fault need immediate attention? Is it likely to cause any furtherdamage or the suspention to stick permanently in the low setting?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

No -
But any rusty linkage will of course wear more - and have a tendency to finally get stuck.
If you think bad winter weather does not invite you to get under your car - then I'd say it's ok to postpone the work.
Just remember that driving the car with lo height (no suspension) on rear is not only a nuisance - it's dangerous !