C3 Sensodrive 'fault'!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Amyp_18
My Cars: Current Car - Citroen C3 Exclusive - Sensodrive
First and favourite Car - Citroen C3 SX (loved this!)

Re: C3 Sensodrive 'fault'!

Post by Amyp_18 »

wheeler, I have absolutely no idea! None of the other threads I've read have mentioned the gearbox causing anything like this, so I'm now hoping it is just halfords poor diagnostic skills!
Amyp_18

Post by Amyp_18 »

Update! To anyone who cares, garage trip number 2, I requested he look at my suspension and steering (again)...Couldn't find anything at all wrong with the car?? Even said it drove perfectly. It's a nice enough drive if you can ignore the pull and the vibrating...had me questioning his ability. Gave me his card and said 'if you're having the same problem in a week come back and I'll balance your front tyres for free' ... I liked the gesture, but no thank you.

In desperation I took it to Citroen, had a drive around with a technician who confirmed it is pulling to the left way more than it should and that it vibrates more than normal at high speed. Suggested the tracking gets done and wheels are rebalanced (great, nice and easy) - sends me to another garage down the road who do it cheaper - North East Tyres & Exhausts. So...gets tracking done. They cant balance my wheels as they don't have the equipment to deal with solid centres...Cue 5th trip to a garage - Kwik Fit this time. Wheels balanced.

...Not a blind bit of difference!! I feel like the shaking may have reduced but I don't use a dual carriageway to get to work so couldn't get up to full speed. Will see tonight if there's any difference there.

I think I'm going to stick with the Citroen dealership and have them give the car a full once over at the end of the month when I am off work. Was avoiding that as I'm aware they will massively overcharge. But hey ho - I just don't know what else to do! Aarrrrggghhhh
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I wonder if this might be a failed CV or inner tri-ax joint on the drive shaft, or possibly the diff bearings breaking up ( a known problem with the MA gearbox). Does it do it all the time; does the frequency of the 'pulls' vary with speed; does it vary with steering angle?
Richard W
Amyp_18

Post by Amyp_18 »

Hi Richard :) it is all the time but I notice it most at speed, that's probably because it's mixed with the vibrations of the car though. If, when driving, I gently wobble the wheel I can really feel it fighting to do what it wants! if I take my hands off the wheel or when I park up it is always at a very clear angle, steering left.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Spoke to Amy yesterday and the fault was defective tyres.
Needless to say she was relieved that it wasn't the gearbox.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

They must of been seriously defective tyres to have that sort of effect on the steering at low speed (parking for example as Amy says)!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Amyp_18

Post by Amyp_18 »

Hey hey,

Steve is right, I took it back to Citroen for them to have a proper look at it - £55 for the pleasure. I told them I had already had the back wheels switched with the front which didn't make a difference. They inspected the tyres and said certainly one is defective, but another may also be contributing to the issue. They then switched the tyres from nearside to offiside and there is a clear difference, the car now pulls ever so slightly to the right this time and sometimes not at all. The vibration is near gone (but not quite). One of the back tyres is to its last few mm anyway so I'm getting the tyres replaced gradually. Now that I know what is it its not so terrifying!

So yes. It would appear that after all this is something as simple as tyres!

And Marc, by parking I just meant that whilst parking and 'straightening up' - the wheel always went back to a left facing position, not that it was actually hindering my parking - I'm bad enough at that as it is :)

Thanks all for their input :D
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ah that would explain it then! Thought you might have tank tyres on to cause that sort of pull! I'm glad you got it sorted. I wonder if the rims have been warped too?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc