Berlingo noisy rear suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Element
My Cars: 2004 Partner 2.0 Hdi

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Berlingo noisy rear suspension

Post by Element »

I have a 2005 Berlingo which has had the axle collapse problem (108k). At first I didn't realize it was the axle (never would have suspected it :roll: ) and I fitted new rear shocks thinking that would cure the noise... sadly not, then with more reading of Berlingo woes I found out about it... Some 2 months later, I now have a reconditioned axle fitted to replace the old one. The noise is better (less CLONK) but there's still a heavy vibration creaking coming from the back. I have removed the spare wheel shelf, noise is still there. However, when I removed the wheel shelf, the RH side of the 'spring' was almost out of its hole; it must have had that much vibration that it worked itself loose & was on the point of falling off altogether.. I was sure I put it on correctly seated. I have had some doubts over the new shocks fitted; the bolts that go through are torqued up tight to the speciified setting but the design of the bolt sleeves means that the big 24mm nuts are tight against the metal sleeve and I suspect that some creaking occurs there. Plan to remove the bolts & put a load of grease and a couple of big washers on to allow the shocks to freely move. If the noise is still present, I can't think of anything else except the axle bushes..
So the question I have is this - has anyone had rear suspension noise and subsequently changed the 4 rear axle bushes & found this made a significant improvement? I am loathe to remove the axle again just to change the bushes; but am running out of alternative possible sources of the noise...
Peugeot Partner, 2.0 Hdi, 2004
Perthshire
Lighty
My Cars:

Re: Berlingo noisy rear suspension

Post by Lighty »

Who did you purchase the axle from, because there are some dreadful replacements on the market .
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
Element

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

These folks.. they do around 700 axles a year...

http://omanmechanicalsolutions.co.uk/

However, the noise type doesn't sound anything like the sound the 'old' axle used to make and the alignment is straight unlike crooked as it used to be; I don't think this sound has anything to do with the axle, I hope its the shocks with metal to metal rubbing; will find out later today...
Perthshire
Element

Marlin Roadster 2.0 TC

Post by Element »

Update... It was the rear shocks (- aftermarket ones -) the nuts on the bolts were tight up against the 'horizontal' bolt sleeves; metal to metal. So a dozen M16 washers and a load of grease and all nice and quiet again :)
Perthshire