Xantia Radiator Fan replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JSladen

Xantia Radiator Fan replacement

Post by JSladen »

Hi,

I am trying to swap out a duff Radiator fan on an 1.9TD S2 estate, and I've been trying to follow the instructions by vertVega here, however I appear to have GATE fans, rather than the ones with the screw in the middle.

Can anyone suggest how I might be able to get the blades free from the front of the motor without wreaking them?

I've removed the clip on the front of the fan already, but so far none of my pulling or prodding has been able to convince the blades to separate from the motor at all.

Anyone have any suggestions?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia Radiator Fan replacement

Post by CitroJim »

New ones on me. Never seen GATE fans, only the ones with the LH threaded screw in the middle..

Do you have a picture of the fan blade assembly?
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
JSladen

Post by JSladen »

Hi Jim,

I can't get a picture of mine at the moment as I'm at work, but the one in this ebay listing looks to be the same, bar a bit of extra rust on the clip that mine has.

Cheers
ZX 1.9D -> Xantia S2 1.9TD -> Xantia S2 1.9TD Estate [now gone]
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh yes, they look a little familiar now... I believe you may find the squarish metal bit in the middle is a clip that will slide off to allow the blade assembly to pull off..

You may need to get a small mirror in there to see in which direction the clip needs to slide...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
JSladen

Post by JSladen »

I've got the clip off no problem, I just cannot get the blades to move at all once I've done that. I assume the idea is that it just 'pulls' off forwards, but I've had quite a lot of brute force on it already, and it hasn't moved one bit.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

It certainly should just pull forwards but it may be quite a job. It might be a bit like Xantia heater blowers that use a similar clip. The blade assembly is also seemingly glued on and getting them to move is a heck of a job.

You may need to fabricate a puller of some sort to give a good, even, strong pull with the load well spread around the hub...

Ones with a centre screw can be tight too and take a bit of serious tugging...
Jim

JSladen

Post by JSladen »

Right - I have put a bit more brute force onto the broken half of my donor replacement, and the plastic around the hub has shattered before the blades have agreed let go of the spindle :-(

I might have to see if I can get anything to dissolve the glue on the good spare, and then just saw the blades off the broken one on the car.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Sadly it's often that one must be damaged or broken to find out how it comes apart... All the very best for finding a solution on the second one...

Please let us know what you find as the knowledge will be very valuable.
Jim

JSladen

Post by JSladen »

Bad news on this I'm afraid - whatever I did I couldn't get the old fan blades to separate from the motor, so I ended up hacksawing them off (Front Bumper removal required for access).
I then used heavy duty cable ties to fit the replacement, which I had to do thread through the blades to do up.

Not quite the solution I was after, but it has worked for the moment.