Locked out of Citroen AX -neither door will unlock

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Interwired

Locked out of Citroen AX -neither door will unlock

Post by Interwired »

Experiencing a very strange problem with the door locking mechanism on the Wife's 1990 Citroen AX GT...resulting in us being locked out of the car with no way of getting inside. (although there are a couple of bricks sitting nearby that are tempting me to use them) [V]
Turning the key in the drivers and/or Passenger door will not unlock the car. It just turns either way, but will not unlock. [:(!]
Seems far too unlikely for the seperate mechanisms on each door to fail at the same time ? [:(]
The car does have Central locking, and previously when unlocking it from the passenger door, it would lock and unlock itself several times. (sticking actuator?) Not sure if thats related to this problem at all, but we dont get anything happening with either door now.
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

Could it be the same problem as the one reported here for the Xantia?
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... =door+lock
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

nope, dont think so, but thanks. Key does'nt spin in lock, it just moves in lock as per normal, but without unlocking, on both doors.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

evenin, does the boot unlock?
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

unfortunatly not..the AX has no boot lock/key , just a handle that is unlocked when rest of car is unlocked.
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

A slightly unusual and dodgy question..but any tips on weak points of the Citroen AX for breaking into, without damaging the car ? I dont know what else to do :(
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

might be best to email me answers to the above question, rather than posting solutions to that on the Internet
ax@interwired.co.uk
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Stroking the key a few times on a large magnet.. like one from an old damaged pa speaker, will magnetise the key a bit and may help? It can be de-magnatised by tapping on a hard surface afterwords.
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Whoops forgot to mention you must stroke in one direction only.. I.E. at the end of stroke lift and go back to starting point, then repeat the stroke.. More strokes = stronger magnetic force created.. Its sometimes usefull if you want to magnatise a tool to make it hold a nut or screw as well.
cheesesliceking

Post by cheesesliceking »

I have an AX i kno wthe boot doesnt have a key just thought if it was unlocking u might be able to get in through that, so if thats not unlocking, perhaps the fuse for the central locking has gone kaput?
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

thats a good point, thanks...believe the fuse box is inside the car though :-(
Should'nt you be able to unlock the car without the central locking though ?
Russell

Post by Russell »

Hi,
Does it attempt to unlock and bounce shut..?
Or not even wiggle the door locks..?
Just wondering if an assistant can open the boot while the other wiggles the key...
Or if the battery is disconnected, I would expect the locks to work again. Maybe try disconnecting the battery if you know you have a looseish clamp on the terminal post that can be knocked off with a judicious wiggle or thump from underneath. Don't know anything about the AX, so have no idea if you have any access to battery terminals
best of luck
Russell
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

Makes no attempt to unlock at all, or wiggle the door lock/pin. Tried disconnecting battery, managed to open the bonnet by reaching from underneath the front bumper. No luck :-(
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Something is really odd here -
Each separate door lock should open mechanically by key wether or not the electrical central lock is working.
The '90 AX does not have any odd sophisticated door locks system.
This means your problem right now has nothing to do with the former central locks bouncing the locks - this is purely the electrics that's doing this.
Either both lock mechanisms are frozen by lo temperature - or are sticking being dry/rusty. By the laws of Murphy - it may even happen that the control rod from both door's key barrels to lock mechanism has disengaged.
I'll mail you a suggestion description to open the door.
No-one else will get this info - unless these persons identify themselves in public here first [;)]
Interwired

Post by Interwired »

Thanks Anders, much appreciated. Spent a good hour attempting it, with near success, its very tricky, and by comparing the passenger door to drivers door it appear as if a previous owner has tried the same thing.
Anyway....in a last attempt I was playing with the passenger door lock, and put a lot of force on it with the key...so much that it bent the key !! ...but the door unlocked !! (no idea how the central locking manages that, unless its on a seperate mechanism rod)
Attempted same with drivers side, with no success.
Got inside, locked car, then assistant unlocked car from outside, everything back to normal..central locking working perfectly...very strange...and concerning for future use !
Thanks all.