Checking a 2.1 TD head before tuning

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Russell

Checking a 2.1 TD head before tuning

Post by Russell »

Hi,
What's the best way to check that my 2.1 TD head gasket is good, (it's an XM) and the engine will withstand a dollop more of fuel and air.
Do I do a leakdown test [?]
Do I re-tighten the head bolts [?]
Something else you guys know about, I'll bet.
cheers
Russell
neilsxm

Post by neilsxm »

hi russell
well there is no real way of checking a head gasket if the car isn't using any water it's usually ok
but if your car falls outside these 2 parameters i would change it as a matter of course
if you car has more than about 60k on it
or you drive it steady in everyday life(just occasonally bootin' it)
the reason i say this unlike a petrol as you increase boost pressure on a diesel you also increase cylinder pressure,where on a petrol when you increase boost you increase the time the same pressure is seen by the piston (don't know how to explain better but i hope you understand)
if you decide not to change the head gasket there is a product on the market call 4LIFE it's an antifreeze thats yellow and when it mixes with compression gases it turns red so you know when your headgaskets going
---hth neil---
Russell

Post by Russell »

Hi Neil
Thanks for the info on the coolant: I knew you could buy kits to see if your head gasket was leaking but they are around £30, which is a third the cost of putting a new one on anyway...
The 4LIFE antifreeze will do a great job, and I have spotted that I can get some from the MG guys not far from where I live, for about £12 for 5 litres...
[:D]
I think my Peugeout head is leaking, this should help to prove it. It's not that easy to do as I know my heater matrix is leaking, and this masks the cylinder head problem.
So many thanks for that info.
Cheers
Russell [:)]
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

I take it that your reference to £30 being 1/3 of the cost of replacing a 2.1 head gasket to mean the cost of materials? Otherwise multiply your figure by at least 10 (yes, at LEAST £900 if you let a citroën workshop do the job for you!)
//NiSk
Russell

Post by Russell »

Um,
I haven't been near a garage for years except to scrounge information and buy parts. £900 for a new gasket to be fitted is utterly obscene.
I've had quotes around a £200, but all warn that consequent work is bound to be an arm and the proverbial.
Yes, I definitely meant the bits will cost around £100 or so.
Cheers
Russell [:)]