Double Trouble

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jez

Double Trouble

Post by Jez »

My wife and I both drive Citroens. We both home yesterday and found water leaking out of the bottom of the car. Put water in the coolant, in one car it stays in but leaks out when you go out and stop. The other just leaks out slowly as soon as you put the water in. Have I suffered double head gasket failure? If I have this will be the second time in a year for one of the cars.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Jez,
What do you mean by 'leaks out'? If it's running out on the floor then it's very unlikely to be a HG failure in either case. What cars are we talking here anyway? Most likely is a hose split, or the rad failed across the bottom. 2 in the same day is very very very unlucky though!!
Jez

Post by Jez »

Cars are Xantia 1.9TD and a ZX Aura 1.9D.
The water from what I can see (it was dark when we got home, not time to check yet due to work)drips from somewhere under towards the middle of both cars leaving a trail of water on the slope of my driveway.
rabenson
My Cars:

Post by rabenson »

I'm afraid you are going to have to get down and dirty with it.
Get yourself underneath and see if you can locate the leak - I'm with Richard on this one, VERY unlikely to be a head gasket...
Ron
David W
My Cars:

Post by David W »

Jez,
Have a look at this thread I started the other day....
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=5390
Failure of the water outlet will give the symptoms you describe. When it has gone badly the water will be found dripping out from underneath a bit behind the engine and just to the drivers side of the middle.
David