Intermittent wiper working intermittently

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Intermittent wiper working intermittently

Post by Dommo »

Hi all

Long time no speak on here I think, I've been busy buying and fixing up my first house (about time at the age of 26...)

Anyway, the Xantia has a few ailments just lately, one of the more annoying ones being that the intermittent wipers don't always work. Is there a common area for me to investigate? I recall doing a relay mod near the ignition switch on this Xantia when I first got it, but I don't remember what it was to cure?!

If it helps, when intermittent isn't working, the wipers don't function when I do a wash/wipe pull back on the stalk.

Thanks very much - Dom.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Intermittent wiper working intermittently

Post by Stickyfinger »

Wiper switch dirty inside ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think that it more likely to be a faulty delay relay, check by substitution, or check the soldered joints inside. I think it is blue and near the under-dash fuses.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Yep, I would go with the relay as a starting point, too.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

Me too. Broken solder joints on the Blue relay (actually a timer/relay unit). Find it (Wiki) pop off the blue plastic cover and examine the solder joints of the connection tags onto the PCB. These fail because the relay in effect supports part of the loom via the plug-in connector and the joints are the weakest link. Resolder with a generous fillet of good quality electrical solder fixes the problem but be careful not to overheat the PCB.

The rear wiper uses the same unit plugged into the wiper motor assembly, the same problem is caused by it being subjected to high G-forces whenever the tail-gate is slammed!

I'll add a page to the Wiki when I've got time. If you're stuck, PM me with an e-mail address and I'll send you instructions as a PDF document.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
Dommo
My Cars: Current
07 C5 VTX+ 2.2 HDi 173hp
97 S1 Activa
06 Boxster S
93 XM 2.1 Turbo SD

Previous cars
91 Toyota Soarer UZZ32 Active Suspension
97 S1 VSX 1.9 Turbo D
99 Xantia Activa
98 2.1TD Xantia
99 306

Post by Dommo »

Thank you chaps, I took the wiper relay out and my dad found a couple of dry joints inside. Sure enough it was on the joints that hold the connection tabs to the PCB as you said - duly fixed and so far, wipers are working perfectly. I hadn't spotted your post Guy when I went to get the relay out, but the information you gave would have got the job done perfectly. All I will say is that my wiper relay was held in by a little metal tab that had a torx screw holding it in - a little awkward to get to and I had to resort to a socket torx bit as my torx screwdriver couldn't get straight onto it, but a socket + flexy extension got straight onto it.

Thanks again. I will update if this fails again but I can't imagine it doing. Dom.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

I'm glad you got it fixed. Now when the rear wiper starts playing up, you'll know how to fix that too! :rofl2:

My experience is that the rear wiper 'relays' give more trouble than the front ones. Not long after I'd fixed, the Green Lady's front one, the rear one failed too. On investigation, I found evidence that the rear relay had been replaced before: the water shield had been sliced open and 'repaired' with duct tape, and the relay was several years younger than the car. Having had to replace the entire tailgate a few years ago, I've rather lost track of what relay is in the replacement tailgate, but the wiper went intermittent months ago and has now 'died' completely. I'm in the throes of building another replacement tailgate (with an undamaged HRW, sound water seals around the window, and paint that isn't flaking off the GRP); now I've checked that its 'relay' has been modified, I'm going to support it with a generous blob of silicone between its case and the motor case to help cushion the high G-force when the tailgate gets slammed accidentally (new struts would be a good idea!).
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom