Citroen C5 2.2 HDI won't start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Andrewwood
My Cars: Citroen C5

Citroen C5 2.2 HDI won't start

Post by Andrewwood »

Hi everyone

I have a 2005 C5 2.2HDI Auto exclusive and this morning went to start it and it wouldn't.

First thing the computer said coolant level too low, been having to top it up for a few months now and always thought head gasket was on way out but there is no pressuring in expansion tank, or bubbles or mayonnaise anywhere.

Anyway turned key and it fired for about 5 seconds and misfired and cut out. Tried again and starter motor was very reluctant to turn over to the point where the starter was turning but not engaging.

Tried it again and it went to fire but cut out almost immediately, then tried it later this afternoon it fired for a few seconds then misfired and cut out.

Question is does it seem like head gasket even though it hasn't been pressuring or no water in oil, I.e. Can water get between cylinders and not be seen, by the way there has been no white smoke.

Thanks in anticipation

Andy
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Citroen C5 2.2 HDI won't start

Post by Peter.N. »

How fast is it turning over? If its to slow it wont start, could be that the battery or starter are on the way out or its not charging properly. Try another battery first or use jump leads.

Peter