C5 Headlight issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

C5 Headlight issue

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi Guys

Started getting an intermittent problem with the drivers headlight. While on normal dip beam I've noticed that it sometimes flickers and goes out, particularly when warming up in the first 10 -15 minutes of use. Had a look under the bonnet but found no obvious wiring issues. Is this a sign the bulb is on its way out? If so then what type does it take as an internet search threw up H7s and another kind which I can't recall the number of the top of my head. I've heard that they take a funny kind of bulb and they can be a sod to change.

Any tips are appreciated

Bandit
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: C5 Headlight issue

Post by myglaren »

Just done mine - H4 for the main/fog and H7 for the dip.
They are awkward to change and I can do it without but find it simpler to remove the bumper.

It does sound like a loose connection though so removing the unit and giving it a good clean up might fix that.
I always clean the contacts and give them a shot of contact cleaner to inhibit corrosion.
If you need replacement bulbs, I found that Phillips X-treme vision to be very good.I was going to use Osram Nightbeakers but read that the filament placement can be a bit random leading to a poor beam pattern while the Philips ones seem to be superior in this regard. Haven't made a direct comparison
Got mine from Amazon at a reasonable price.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

With it being an exclusive will most likely have xenon headlamps ?? Do they have washer jets on the bumper ?
If it is xenons then flickering is a sign of the bulb failing.
Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Thanks for the tips guys and yes wheeler it is an exclusive with the washer jets under little plastic covers on the front bumper. One ot the covers has dissapeared so I will need to source a silver replacement-Doh. but thats another issue. Typical headlight bulbs started messing about as Ben82 popped by only 2 weeks ago. He has recently changed his bulbs he offered to show me how to do this but it was dark when he showed up and I said not too worry as the bulbs will last for ages yet!
I'll look on amazon and find a set of H7s

Bandit
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Sorry, didn't see it was an exclusive so the H7s are of no use to you.

Most likely these bulbs will be what you will need.
Wait for someone who has the same setup to confirm before buying though and beware of cheap ones as they don't seem to have the right characteristics nor longevity.
vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Post by vborovic »

So, you have headlight washers but regular halogen headlamps then? ... that's what wheeler was asking about ...

Regular (halogen):

Xenon:

Bandit12
(Donor 2020)

Post by Bandit12 »

Hi guys sorry for the delay in relpying but been away for xmas and new year with limited internet access.
Errm I'm unsure if that photo is what I have so I took a photo of my own.

oh pants! I've got windows 10, how do I add a photo? tried the image thingy but no luck. tried the copy and paste from album but it wont paste :?:

Bandit
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Have a read of this, tells you all you need to know