C5 X7 oil & air issues

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

C5 X7 oil & air issues

Post by vborovic »

This has bothered me for a while now, until fairly recently, I didn't have any errors on my car (that the DiagBox would throw at me), and now I'd like to fix 2 things that might be fairly simple or fairly without impact ... but, me being me, I want to have everything on 0 errors, if at all possible (errors are rough translations):

- BSI - error F40A - oil level sensor fault, local, unknown error
- DCM3.5 - error P2125 - air intake manifold - deviation from the two limiting positions

For the first error, I've figured out in some additional tests that the car doesn't get the information about the current engine oil level ... which should be pretty harmless, if everything is working as it should (so far it is). For the 2nd error, I haven't noticed any driving deterioration due to the said error ... I have exact figures if someone knows what to look at, and what could possibly give some hints where to start.

Any takers, before I go under the hood and possibly not come back?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 X7 oil & air issues

Post by GiveMeABreak »

F40A looks like a false positive as I don't believe there is an oil guage. P2125 - Throttle Position Sensor (intake air heater)? A bad earth can affect this but they are prone to moisture, vibration and heat. Can cause poor idling, idling above normal / hesitation on acceleration. If the sensor is faulty I think they have to be replaced as a unit and aren't repairable.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

One thing I did remember regarding the first one, and I've tested this on several occasions . on the older versions of the DiagBox (say, 7.15 roughly), the error won't get displayed ...

On another note, I also have some doubts about the air condition system ... the live test data returns the values for both the drivers and co-drivers side hot air intake (to the cabin) with values of 6513.5 & 6549.5 celsius respectively ... I would think the "normal" values should be around a two-figure number, no? The temperature of the cooler sensor return the value of 3-4 degrees celsius. Digging slightly deeper, the notice regarding the temperatures defines that the given temperatures are ok, if an additional errors of F70B or B70B aren't displayed - meaning the car isn't equipped with the temperature sensor ... which (by the values returned) proves right for the passenger side, but not for the drivers side ... the returned value is the already mentioned 6513.5, while the "blank" temperature should be the 6549.5 ... so, the sensors exists, but returns something in-explainable?

Reason why I suspect something is off wit the air-con is that now, since it is getting colder, all my inner windows can get foggy without any warning, not just during the first start, but even during longer drives ... the AC is on, you get no clue that something doesn't work, and in a matter of minutes the windows get foggier and foggier (the entire car, all the way to the rear window) ... and I'm forced to use the front screen demystifying (full air-blowing), since I can barely see anything outside ... this shouldn't be normal of course if the AC is working as it should ... the gas in it should be OK, sinc the AC pipe in the engine is as cold as ice, and you can feel the cold ice breezing its way to the cabin ... however, the fogging of the windows is actually a slight concern and not a pleasant experience in the car that should be of a slightly upper range (and which costs as well) ...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Aircon drain tube blocked or pollen filter clogged?
Mine does the same now but all the gas is gone :(
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I'll see with the pollen filter, it was replaced yesterday, it was in a bit of a mess (shame on me), but I doubt that would prove the source of extra mist inside the car ... but I'd put my money elsewhere ... regarding the drain tube, I'll need to check it, but since the average daily temperatures are 3-4 celsius now (no heated garage, just the carport), I'm not that motivated to do some handy work outside the car ... inside it is another story, heating, music ... I could do the entire ECU remap by myself ... :D
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Re air con misting. Excess water can accumulate and get left in the system which is then put out back into the car on next journey. If it's working and icy cold then condensation from the cold could be forming in the air ducts and pipes collecting as water just waiting to get blown out next time. If you regularly have the AC on, you could switch it off 10 -15 mins before end of journey to put a bit of heat through and dry the pipes out occasionally. Definitely sounds like excess water in the system. Steve's spot on with the drain issue too.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

AC doesn't work if temperature is low and this might explain why there's fogging in windows on these near zero temperatures.

Maybe some silica gel cat litter could help? It sucks extra moisture from air.
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Xantippa wrote:
Maybe some silica gel cat litter could help? It sucks extra moisture from air.
Great tip. I saw this recently; fill a sock with the absorbent type cat litter and put it on the dashboard, it absorbs any dampness in the car and stops the windscreen misting up overnight.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I can try with any of those, there are actually a few different approaches on the DIY demisting, but I'd like to target the source of the problem ... the previous Xsara, which was 10+ years older, had the working AC, never had this issue (during winter) ... it had intermittent problems with the fan not working, but when it did, everything got cleared up in a few seconds ... and regarding the AC not working if the temperature is too low, makes sense of course, but how do you explain, the car running for 2 hours, then just suddenly it starts getting foggier inside ... don't know how to explain it, but like someone suddenly opened up something, and poured something in the filter or air intake, and it gets condensed and inserted in the cabin ... and I'm talking 2-3 minutes at most when that occurs ...

EDIT: Don't think I don't have anything better to do but spamming, I just want to help myself any any others facing the same issues on this type of car ... :)
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

Maybe temperature just drops then and AC stops working? I've tested to drive without AC on damp weather under 10C, but many times windows start to get foggy very soon --> AC has to be on.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Any chance that it suddenly decides to recycle the air instead of inducting fresh air?
Mine steams up quite quickly on recycle, partly as the aircon is cabbaged.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

myglaren wrote:Any chance that it suddenly decides to recycle the air instead of inducting fresh air?
No way of knowing what the smart car does, unless I have DiagBox plugged in, doing live rounds of driving and reading the data it throws at me ... when the windows get foggier, I already tried turning of the AC, recycling air etc, the only thing that sort of helped was the full blow of air towards the front windscreen, and that too took some time to clear it up (would expect it to clear up the mist much faster) ... maybe a good car-sized oven, to let everything roast a bit and evaporate all excess condensed water and humidity, that's obviously hidden somewhere ... :D
ozzdownunder
My Cars: Current =C5 X7 Limited Edition 2014 HDI, Turbo 2.2L LT Sedan built 2014. Triumph, Holden Commodore, Range Rovers, Rovers.

Dampness from air issues, drainage pipes ?

Post by ozzdownunder »

Hi C5x7 2011 HDI 2L Right Hand Drive.
Where is the location of the Aircon drainage pipes/tubes?
I never see any water under the car when the aircond is running like one sees with most cars.
There is a damp smell when using the aircond and I have to switch on the heater to get rid of the smell, should not be necessary.
So please, any one out there that can shed some info on this would be really appreciated. tx