Xantia fuel tank capacity/running out of fuel! in

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mark W
My Cars:

Xantia fuel tank capacity/running out of fuel! in

Post by Mark W »

Managed sunday to call upon my breakdown cover. I knew I was running low on fuel, the needle just showing empty but not in the reserve, the warning light just starting to show. We had cause to park up briefly. On trying to start up it would not fire up. Sadly I run down the battery surprisingly quickly. Because it is not a particularly good hot starter anyway it never crossed my mind that it was low fuel.
The breakdown people to there credit primed the fuel system, gave me a jump start and followed me to the nearest petrol station, whereby the tank took 56.32 Ltr. If I had genuinly run out of fuel I'm guessing the tank capacity is 60 litres?
I have since got the fuel filter changed, mainly because it was overdue by 5000 miles but partly because I suspect it could explain the somewhat poor hot starting.
I fear my fuel gauge is inaccurate or it was another unrelated problem. Either way car is running fine now.
Mark W
My Cars:

Post by Mark W »

Should of added it's a turbo diesel!!!!!
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

The capacity is 65L, and I should know, I've run out before.
Most I have put in is 65.7L
My theory is that you may have an air leak in your fuel system, allowing the fuel to drain back to the tank, leaving air in the pipes as a nice substitute !
How does it start after being left for a few hours, or overnight ?
When the orange light comes on, you usually have enough for between 40 and 100 miles, depending on how you drive, and what bits and bobs you switch on.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Post by rory_perrett »

Its 65 litres and I've managed to get more than 65 without having run out. Normally expect to get 56 to 58 litres in if filling up when the light has just come on.
Had a similar experience with a BX TD, died on the motorway when there should have been 10 litres left. The recovery guy reckoned running it low had allowed air to get in somehow. He chucked 10 more litres in, bled the system and away I went - never happened again in over 3 years even though I did occasionally run it low.
Rory
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

One of the worst things you can do is run them low on fuel, any crap (and there will be some) in the tank gets vigourously stirred up by the low level of fuel sloshing about, then it gets sucked along to your expensive fuel injection gear, hope you've all got good filters on[:D]
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
Well if the recovery guys put in 10litres of petrol, then you put in 56.36 litres, you have actually added 66.36litres. ie: the fuel tank was bone dry when you ran out [:o)], especialy when you take into account that is only hold 65litres !!
seeya,
Shane L.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Then there is always that magical device known as a spare can . . .
I always carry an extra 5 litre can in the back of my XM TD12 - the warning light on these is notorious - some times you can drive for almost an extra 200 km after it has lit and sometimes only 80!
//NiSk
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I use a simple trick of having 1 - 2L of veggie oil in the tank. This only burns after the dino-diesel has been used, and gives the tell tale sign of use via the change in smell.
When you smell this from your exhaust, you know you're low on fuel !
Highly illegal of course, unless you declare the 2L to the customs, and pay 50p duty.
Mark W
My Cars:

Post by Mark W »

Thanks for all the advice. The starting problem is very strange. Cold starts fine, 1-2 hour breaks fine, but leave the car for say 5mins or so and it takes a fair bit of churning?
One thing I have noticed is that the pre heat light goes out very quickly when engine is already warm. I'm sure this is how it's meant to work, however the time it takes to enter the keypad code and in my wifes case adjust herself, the mirror etc means that by the time she turns the key the benefit of the pre heat would of passed. When I start the car I tend to turn the pre heat on a second time after I have done the keypad etc, and 9 times out of ten I get a ok warm start. Any of this make sense to anyone out there?
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

I've meant to ask about the Xantia tank capacity for some time. I have a 1995 2.0 petrol car with a handbook and gauge that both suggest a 65 litre tank. To date, the maximum I've got into it is about 74 litres, and I've done this more than once at different petrol stations.
Do I really have a 75 litre tank? Great if true. This is a car sold in Australia new.
All comments most welcome...
JohnW
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Mark - the length of time the preheater lamp is lit has absolutely nothing to do with how long the heaters are engaged. They are powered for several minutes AFTER the ligh thas gone out, so your wifey is probably using the preheaters in the optimum manner!
//NiSk
XantiaMan
My Cars:

Post by XantiaMan »

mbunting wrote:I use a simple trick of having 1 - 2L of veggie oil in the tank. This only burns after the dino-diesel has been used, and gives the tell tale sign of use via the change in smell.
When you smell this from your exhaust, you know you're low on fuel !
Highly illegal of course, unless you declare the 2L to the customs, and pay 50p duty.
If only that were true!
2003 Ford Mondeo ST220
2002 Ford Fiesta Zetec S
2001 Ford Puma 1.7 VCT
2008 Ford Transit Mk7
http://www.facebook.com/kidmans" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;