Xantia hydraulics fine tuning.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Le-Mans
My Cars:

Xantia hydraulics fine tuning.

Post by Le-Mans »

Hi folks,
There’s one other thing about my Xantia that’s bugging me just a tad these days, and I’d like to run it by you guys and see what comes back. It’s the hydraulics you see…
History:
1. I got a replacement second hand hydraulic pump fitted in late December 2003. That’s all fine. It runs quieter (and less often) than it’s predecessor, which failed in a very leaky fashion. The suspension was starting to feel very hard long before that pump failure, and just prior to the failure the car was taking longer and longer to rise when starting cold (thus overworking the pump and wearing it out I assume). Post pump replacement, the ‘rising’ was back to what seemed normal, but the suspension was still very hard. So I thought all of my spheres and LHM had to be done next.
2. Then I discovered Citaerobics on this forum about a week and a half ago, so I tried that, giving the old girl a good 7 up/downs for good measure. Phwah! :) And to my amazement I found that the overall feel of the suspension improved quite noticeably. More amazing still, it seemed to improve yet further over the next few days of use. I was delighted (Thanks AndersK whose post showed me the light).
Ok, so now I’m almost happy. The problem is, I think I still have to replace at least the accumulator sphere, and maybe tinker with some other bits, and definitely replace the LHM because it’s TOTALly filthy. Hah, nice pun.
Here’s what I think is unusual about my hydraulics…
1. When starting cold the rear of the car nearly always rises completely before the front even budges. The rear rises smoothly from start to finish of motion. The front of the car rises in steps (about 4 or 5), and when it reaches the top the pump stops pumping for a moment, and then it starts again. The pump runs for about another 2 or 3 minutes before it gradually settles into a normal ‘ticking’ behaviour pattern.
2. Sometimes when returning the suspension setting to normal position from lowest position, the front of the car rises (in steps), but the rear doesn’t budge for a long time, and then it slowly rises (smoothly). Both ends of the car go up and down simultaneously when moving from lowest to highest, or highest to lowest, or highest to normal. I haven’t tried anything in particular with the intermediate position.
So guys, how much of this is abnormal behaviour, and what should I replace or adjust first?
cleaner

Post by cleaner »

So it really is just the Citaerobics? Because I also have only recently started practicing it and the car rises fast even if it's very cold. And it's also very amusing doing it in rush hour and watching the guy behing you in your mirror ;)
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

I remember doing Citaerobics in traffic jams in my old BX 19RD...sods law says I was in eitehr high or low setting when the lights changed...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Please note that the pump relies on VERY easy access to the fluid from the reservoir.
The hydraulic pump is indeed SURPRISINGLY weak on it's suction side.
This means ANY restrictions from the reservoir suction degrade noticeably the system's ability to pump up from start.
The first point to look at is the reservoir filters - clearly seen when the whole "manifold" assembly is lifted up from the reservoir can.
Another VERY important issue is to be sure the pump does NOT take in air on suction side.
This means the suction hose MUST be in fine condition.
If the hose clamps fitted still are the original ones - then it's replacement time - as the rubber shrinks under these clamps over time - allowing air getting in.
It is CRUCIAL the service intervals for replacing the hydraulic LHM fluid is obeyed - otherwise your hydraulic Citroen will degrade in performance - and show all possible signs of strange symptoms.
The service interval is 36Kmiles.
For some odd reasons (economy ?) owners always tend to fail the hydraulic fluid service. This should NOT be feared - it's not that expensive - compares to an engine oil service.
You may find the fluid replacement procedure here :LHM fluid service.
It's recommanded the fluid is replaced with the special system cleaning fluid Hydracleanse - made to this purpose. This is available in 5L cans - same cost as LHM fluid. This fluid should be allowed to work for some 1K - 3K miles.
Same procedure applies - but of course you then have to do this procedure 2 times witin a short time span.
This should be done at 3 times LHM replacement interval - i.e. each 108Kmiles interval.
As you can see from these service intervals - this small extra expense would be neglegible in the overall service & running costs - but it means soooo much to hydraulic Citroens suspension systems.
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

ERR WHAT EXACTLY IS CITROBICS I HAVE SEEN IT MENTIONED BEFORE AND JUST THOUGHT IT WAS A WEBSITE (I HAVE NEVER BEEN VERY BRIGHT !!!) AND I HAVE ONLY HAD A CITROEN 3 MONTHS!!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

You may find it here : Citaerobics