Xantia Clutch Replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mrgibbs
My Cars:

Xantia Clutch Replacement

Post by mrgibbs »

After a successful weekend replacing spheres (see my other post!) I'm planning on tackling the replacement of the clutch on my '98 1.8 16v Xantia this coming weekend.
Having read the good old Haynes manual it seems that an awful lot of ancilliary bits and pieces need to come off (inlet manifold, LHM reservoir, etc.) and I was wondering if this was all really necessary?
Any hints and tips gratefully accepted!
mipster
My Cars:

Post by mipster »

My experience of clutch replacement is a with a TD so I can't be too much help.
What I can say is that on the TD haynes wanted a lot more bits of than I actually needed to take off.
from memory:
LHM reservoir - yes - there's a bracket underneath that must come off.
rest of the hydraulics (acc sphere etc) - no - can be unbolted and moved out of the way.
mipster
wilsonkrg
My Cars:

Post by wilsonkrg »

I have done one on a 2.0l 16V which is very similar to a 1.8 I think. I didn't have to take the intake manifold off. You have to take the air cleaner, the battery, the LHM reservoir and the ABS bracket off so you can get to the gearbox to chassis mount. The next battle is the plastic tray that guides all the wires and LHM hoses across the top of the gearbox (which is luckily fairly strong), the the clutch cable, arm and gearchange links.
I had one of the dreadfull 'pull' type clutches and it was a real trick to keep the release bearing up the right way to link into the release forks as the gearbox goes back on. The gearbox will only go back on if the bolt holes to the engine are well lined up.
Good Luck.
Ken W