Xsara VTS - no fuel? Won't run

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JakeRs
My Cars: Current:
2004 Citroen Xsara VTS

Past:
2002 Citroen Xsara VTS
2003 Citroen Xsara VTR
2002 Peugeot 206 SW XSi
1997 Citroen Xsara 1.8 SX

Xsara VTS - no fuel? Won't run

Post by JakeRs »

Evening all, and sorry for this being my first post, I'm planning to stick around though :)

I've been having issues with my 2002 Xsara VTS where it broke down one day and would only turn over but not fire. Wheeler from the Xsara Owner's Club was helping me over there.

After spending some time with the car today, my Dad and I have managed to get 12v everywhere that is needed for the car to start:

12v in the BSM for the injectors
same for the fuel pump
same for the coils

The car now turns over and fires quickly, as normal, but will not run, and stops immediately. Are we right in thinking that it isn't getting any fuel? The fuel pump is priming, the fuel line at the pump seems to be full of fuel, the fuel rail makes a noise while the fuel pump primes, and, having removed the pressure regulator on the fuel rail, does have fuel in it.

Is it a case of bleeding air from the fuel rail, or is there something we may have missed?

As was a problem before the troubles started, during the troubles and now, Lexia cannot talk to the Engine ECU when doing a full diagnostics, but works with all the others.

I hope that someone here has some ideas.
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: Xsara VTS - no fuel? Won't run

Post by wheeler »

Im here too btw 8-)
This is a strange one, cant get on to CXOC at the moment to remind me of everything you have done. At least its firing up now.
Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge? The pump might be operating & pumping fuel but is there enough pressure?
Will it continue to run on easy start/brake cleaner down the air intake ?
CGATCX25GTITURBO
Location: IN FRONT OF THE LAP TOP Residing in Hull, East Yorks
My Cars:

Post by CGATCX25GTITURBO »

I had a silimar thing with my sons Seat Leon Cupra, it was a weak fuel pump, the internal bypass valve gave up. It made all the noises put fuel up to the rail, started idled etc... no power and kept stopping. New pump and job done.
Neil aka CGAT
1986 CX25 GTI TURBO 1 SERIES 2 'CGAT'
1998 XANTIA 19TD ESTATE
1987 BX19 GTI 8V
2012 Citroen DS3
1997 600 Bandit
2000 ZX12R from new
1989 CX GTI Turbo 62k miles in a barn since 2001, project started 2023.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

have you checked the gearbox earth cables?? had issue on my old 309gti when was running fine, then stopped, wouldnt fire at all, tried all sorts of things on it to no avail, turned out to be the earth cable!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
JakeRs
My Cars: Current:
2004 Citroen Xsara VTS

Past:
2002 Citroen Xsara VTS
2003 Citroen Xsara VTR
2002 Peugeot 206 SW XSi
1997 Citroen Xsara 1.8 SX

Post by JakeRs »

wheeler wrote:Im here too btw 8-)
This is a strange one, cant get on to CXOC at the moment to remind me of everything you have done. At least its firing up now.
Do you have access to a fuel pressure gauge? The pump might be operating & pumping fuel but is there enough pressure?
Will it continue to run on easy start/brake cleaner down the air intake ?
Haven't been able to access it for several days now - I'm worried that it is no more now.

Sorry to everyone for coming on, posting and then disappearing. The problem turned out to be a couple of relays that were wired into the fuse box in the engine bay which appeared to be stopping the injectors from firing once the car was started. Once this was removed the car worked again. Thanks for everyone's help on here and on the Xsara forum.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

I registered for the Xsara Owner's Forum about a year ago but never received an email to confirm membership. I tried sending a reminder to all possible names I could think of (admin@, administrator@, webmaster@) but nothing. I think it was in trouble then TBH.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The CXOC is back up & running again but it seems to go offline fairly regular these days.