Tyres for C5 Mk1 estate

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Tyres for C5 Mk1 estate

Post by hirsty »

I am looking for new tyres for the C5 estate and liked the look of the Goodyear Efficient Grip cos the ratings for rolling resistance and wet braking were both A. The problem is the load rating because it's heavy. Some sites suggest 93 and some 97. Can anyone give me a definitive answer as to which is correct. By the way, the 93/ 97 rated tyres are £30 more than the standard 91 rated. :shock:

hirsty
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Tyres for C5 Mk1 estate

Post by Stickyfinger »

I always go H-Duty tires, but I carry Cast Iron in large lumps inside mine :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Just put a set of new tyres on mine not sure what the load rating was, will look later.

I put on Michelin cross climate tyres as I like all season and they get very good reviews.

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

If the cars manual says 91 standard then as long as you fit 91 then you are fine. I don't think there is anything to gain by exceeding it. I had Goodyear efficient grip on my c4vts and thought they were as good a tyre as anything I have had.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Well, this pre-empts a post I'd been thinking of making concerning Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance (199 x 60 x15, 88 V rated) which I have on a Toyota Corolla, and about which I'm shortly to complain to Goodyear.

Previously there had been 2 Goodyears on the car, and these had worn until reaching the legal limit - no problem there. Two new Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance were fitted to the car Nov 2014. One was older, manufacture date 1214, and in October 2015, after it had done 2,701 miles in the 13 months it had been on the car, I was most put out to find very thin hairline cracks in 2 of the 3 main grooves between the treads, going circumferentially all the way around the tyre. Today, 1st December, I've removed the wheel to photograph, prior to contacting Goodyear, and there seem to be more of the hairline cracks. The second Goodyear tyre fitted was manufactured 2214, and at present it's difficult to say at the moment whether this is developing similar cracks.

The tyre supplier & fitter is happy to send the offending tyre to Goodyear, and says he's seen this before, but I didn't question him as to the manufacturer or how common. He attributes the problem to the amount of silicon manufacturers are now putting into the rubber compound, included in part to give the better mileage that motorists now demand. Nevertheless, I still think the tyres shouldn't become defective in this way so early in their life. The pessimistic me presumes that the cracks will spread & deepen, and one wonders where it will end.

In view of my experience with the aforementioned problem, I've lost faith in Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance, and I'd not consider recommending their use. Are we, the motoring public, being used as guinea pigs, as manufacturers play with their rubber compound & tyre design?
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
hirsty
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by hirsty »

Unfortunately the handbook and the Haynes BOL give no recommendations whatsoever for load rating. Maybe I should look at another manufacturer in view of the comment made regarding Goodyear. The cheapies come in from £46 up to £100+ for Michelin in the suggested load ratings.
98 Xantia Mk2 2.0 16v Auto Exclusive 160k + Now gone to Citroen Heaven
2004 C5 Mk 1 2.0 8V VTR Estate - current. Now with leather.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Goodyear's own site gives a load index of 93.
I suppose they should know!