Would a small diesel leak fail MOT?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jaf
My Cars:

Would a small diesel leak fail MOT?

Post by Jaf »

Given that it's not flammable? I have 2 small leaks, one on the pump and one on the tank breather pipe (NFA). Both will be fixed but at the mo I am changing the water pump (started today have to order new one in shop tomorrow) and MOT (well the Spanish version) due Wednesday. Not the best timing as you might imagine!
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Re: Would a small diesel leak fail MOT?

Post by rory_perrett »

This is a bit of a difficult question especially as it is related to the Spanish vehicle test not the UK. Most members of this forum are UK based so you could be waiting a fair while for someone with knowledge of the requirements of the Spanish test comes along, if at all. You might want to edit the title of your post to mention it is information relating to the Spanish test rather than the UK test you are looking for.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

In the UK it would certainly be a fail, not because of fire risk but because of pollution and the fact that diesel spillings on the road can be fatal for motorcycle riders.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Jaf
My Cars:

Post by Jaf »

Yeah fair enough. I just figured that the UK law would be similar if not the same. Got a bit of pipe just now which I hope will squeeze in to the gap instead of the perished corrigated pipe. Changed it once already with a second hand pipe as new one not available, but it's perished too. The pump is awaiting a seal.

I am aware of bikes, used to ride one, so I will be repairing it don't worry!
Fred, a silver 1998 1.9TD SX Xantia.
Gwin, a white 1994 1.1 AX.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I took an XM in a few months and that failed on a diesel leak but that was pouring out from the pump, a leak that only creates a damp patch wouldn't fail with my MOT man.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote:a leak that only creates a damp patch wouldn't fail with my MOT man.
Exactly, it has to be a drip...

Same as with hydraulic systems...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...