Decision time-HELP

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

isisalar
My Cars:

Decision time-HELP

Post by isisalar »

All being well I'm picking up my new car next week, a C6. This means that as much as I would like to keep them both I have to get rid of one of my Xantia HDI exclusive estates. I work as a painter/decorator carpenter and one of the cars has to do as a van/work car.
The silver one I bought at around 140,000 miles and have spared no expense getting it ready to go on to 250,000+ miles, all the front end bushes and stuff, discs and pads all round, all new spheres, heater fan unit, height correctors, etc etc. No major dents on the bodywork but a few bumper scuffs and scratches. A bit of wear on the drivers seat but perfectly servicable, it's now on about 190,000miles.
The blue one I bought to use as a 'best' car and is reputedly the best example left in the country, is in pretty well mint condition with a brilliant service history, previously owned by a respected forum member, 89,000 miles, passed its MOT this week, only needed the hazard light switch sorting out. I've done less than 2000 miles in it in the last year. It's so nice I don't use it much for fear of damaging it or messing up the interior.
The silver one I have no such worries and chuck all sorts of materials and stuff in. It's a thirsty beast compared to the blue one but the performance difference is phenomenal, I suspect it may have been breathed upon at some time in its past, it could be just that it's a lot looser. The blue one is on non hydractive spheres with the brake mod, the silver on hydractive spheres. Whenever I drive either, I'm convinced it's the best set up, until I drive the other one!!
My thinking when I went for the C6 was to sell the blue one, it should fetch a good price, but having done a few miles in it recently I'm having second thoughts. I'm never going to be able to replace it but if I use it it's going to get messed up and I'll have all the front end work to do again as the mileage rises.
Please don't think this is in any way an advert, I will be offering whichever one I sell on here before it goes on E bay, advice is what I'm after.
HELP!!
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
hattershaun
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C6 3.0HDi Exclusive
SM 3.0 manual 1972
DS 23 Pallas 1975
GSA Pallas C-Matic 1982
C3 Pluriel 2009

Re: Decision time-HELP

Post by hattershaun »

I'd keep both Xantia until you've had the C6 for at least 3 months to see how you get on with the C6.
A good Xantia is harder to come by than a C6.
Shaun

C6 3.0 HDi Exclusive - 2010
SM 3.0 - 1972
DS 23 Pallas - 1975
GSA Pallas C-Matic - 1982
C3 Pluriel - 2009
isisalar
My Cars:

Post by isisalar »

Shaun, you're a genius, that's not something I'd even considered. Thinking about it, it's better than money in the bank, the price of older cars seems to be on the rise, even C5's, and the blue one is very desirable. Now the problem is to find somewhere to store it.
J reg 1.9d auto BX first Citroen
M reg 1.9d auto Xantia lx
N reg 1.9 td Xantia VSX Estate
T reg 2.0HDI Xantia Exclusive Estate Present car
M reg 106 diesel red
L reg 106 diesel white
02 Saxo 1.1i desire wife's present car(sadly now very ill cambelt gone- Doh)
XanV6
My Cars:

Post by XanV6 »

Hi
Did you pick up the c6? If so what do you think of it.
Regards
Robert
C6
SM - 1972
Xantia V6 Exclusive
Xantia Activa 3.0 V6
Various other Citroëns