Non working alarm on Xantia.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

Count your blessings, it looks like somebody's disconnected the alarm to save you the trouble of doing the same thing yourself. There are probably more threads about troublesome alarms on this forum than almost anything else (except hydraulics, maybe).
The Xantia alarm was never Citroen's finest achievement. Mine (95 1.8 16v) went through a riotous phase of misbehaviour when it was a couple of years old. My dealer tried taping over half of each movement sensor, but it never really sorted the problem. And when it started going off every time a taxi drove past it (something to do with their short-wave radios, I'd guess), I almost sold the car.
Then, suddenly and without warning, the problem went away. It now goes off maybe once every six months. I like it that way.
Forget the alarm!
Kered

Post by Kered »

How do you know it's not working?
Whoever buys my 95 Xantia will think the same thing. The reason being that the relay in the alarm welded on, so I took it out. It works fine - but no flashing lights! Try setting the alarm with a window open - after a minute or so try waving your hand through the open window. If the alarm goes - then all is well - if not then the alarm isn't set.
Derek
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Have you got an alarm in the first place? Assuming a yes to that, are you setting it properly?
I don't know which type of plip you have, but on the older IR models that I have you set the alarm by pressing the front button (locking the doors) followed immediately by the back button (setting the deadlocks and arming the alarm). The indicators only flash when the second button is pressed, and you can hear the whirry clunk as the deadlocks engage at the same time. If neither is happening when you press the second button, then I'd suspect a faulty plip - look at the indicator LED on the plip while pressing both buttons in turn, both should produce a half-secondish flash.
Stu.
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

Mine will activate the deadlocks without the flashing indicator showing that the alarm has activated. Disconnecting and reconnecting the battery will restore normal operation for a few days or weeks and then it goes again. If you want to try this trick, make sure that you have the code for the radio and know how to use it.
Can anyone explain this behaviour?
shaunthesheep
My Cars:

Post by shaunthesheep »

right what happens on mine is this:-
<b>on locking the car with the plip</b>
1. close doors etc, 2. press the first button on the plip, doors lock. 3. press the second button on the plip, doors deadlock & indcators come on & stay on for about 15secs ish & there is a red led flashing away (althought it is clear!) beside the clock so you can see that the car is alarmed from outside it.
<b>on unlocking the car with the plip</b>
1. approch the car with plip in hand. 2. direct the plip towards the inside rear view mirror. 3. press the first button, car will then unlock & disarm the alarm, indcators will flash for about 15secs
hope this helps
dom
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

That's about what should happen, yes. Except that the time interval is more like 5 seconds than 15 - both of mine are around 5 seconds of indicator activity.
Looks like a bit of digging is needed to locate this. First thing is to check whether the dashboard LED illuminates when the system is supposed to be armed. If it does, then try what Derek (above) said - set the alarm leaving a window open, and after about 45 seconds stick your arm inside and wave it about. Let us know what happens!
One other thing. There is a key slot just under the bonnet by the windscreen, in the panel above/behind the LHM reservoir. (it's probably covered with a round plastic cap, and it accepts the ignition key.) This is to enable/disable the siren. Try the alarm with this switch in both positions.
Note that it doesn't disable the whole alarm system - just the sounder, so the headlamps( NOT the indicators) should still flash if the alarm is triggered.
Stu.
ukmobileman
My Cars:

Post by ukmobileman »

some xantia's (i believe later models) don't have the keyswitch under bonnet, alot of alarm problems are due to wet alarm ECU's in passenger footwells (from heater matrix problems or simular) try doing a search about alarms on forum for more details
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

The earlier ones with the IR plips all have the keyswitch, AFAIK.
Ok. To clear up any confusion over the purpose of the dashboard switch, its sole purpose in life is to disable the ultrasonic sensors so that you can leave, say, a dog in the car while maintaining the perimeter (door/bonnet/boot switch) protection. You do this by pressing the dashboard button for a couple of seconds until the red LED on the dashboard lights up, then arm the system normally. It shouldn't need to be touched in normal circumstances.
It seems to me that something has been disconnected or removed. Probably simplest to check the fuses first - I'll just have a look at my handbook to see which one(s) are involved...
Stu.
lhm_leak
My Cars:

Post by lhm_leak »

Fuses you need to check are F12(10A) and F17(15A). Fuse F17 is solely for the alarm and might be missing.
Locations? From the driver's seat, F12 is 5th from bottom in the Right hand column, F17 is at the top of the LH column.
Stu.
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

hi I have just been and looked at my alarm to see what the problem was and some berk had replaced fuse 17 with a 30 amp not 15 so the alarm wasnt working. I have now replaced the fuse witha spare 15a and we will soon see if the alarm is any good
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

'born2die' - whilst replaceing a 15 amp fuse with a 30 amp fuse is dangerous it should not stop your circuit from working - no matter what the application. It might lead to a rather large fire however if there is a fault and something gets very hot because the fuse has not blown at 15 amps (which the designers decided is when it should blow).
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

handbook says 15a rating on fuse so I think it should be ok??? cant see any reason for a 30[?]
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

The best thing to do with any PSA / Texton alarm is stick it in the BIN!