XANTIA Direction Indicators

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

flygirl757
My Cars:

XANTIA Direction Indicators

Post by flygirl757 »

YOOHOO! Me AGAIN...and again....and again....

XANTIA 1.9 Turbo Diesel (1994 and still alive....just)

The problem THIS time is that the direction indicators have stopped working. Everything else on the indicator stalk is working (lights, headlamp flasher etc and and also the Hazard Warning lights). We're told that indicators have a flasher unit? Can one of you gurus tell us what this looks like and where we will find it as the useless Haynes Manual is as about as useful as a sausage. ANY other advice gratefully accepted. The cheaper the better. I want this car (my first) to reach 2050. We've found what looks like a row of relays under the fuse-box. Could it be one of those and, if so, which one?.

Help!
Michelle :bouncy: lol (sorry - just adore that smily)
1994 Xantia 1.9TD
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: XANTIA Direction Indicators

Post by CitroJim »

It's more than likely to be the stalk Michelle.. The flasher unit is common to the hazards too so if they work there is no problem there...

It could also be the hazard switch...

The indicator stalk, if proved the problem, can often be fixed as it's likely it just needs the indicator contacts cleaning.

I can supply proper wiring diagrams for your Xantia if needed.. let me know...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

As Jim says, the problem is often the hazard switch.

Operate this a dozen times before trying anything else. It is often as simple as that.
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

flygirl757 wrote:the direction indicators have stopped working.
Did they just stop working all of a sudden, or had their operation become intermittent/random? As Jim says, sometimes when the indicator switch's contacts get a bit worn, operation becomes a bit intermittent, accompanied by a rapid quietish clicking noise. I've experienced this rapid clicking and dis-assembled the switch to clean the contacts, but problem was back within a year, so replaced the lights/indicator stalk (it is all 1 unit :( )
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
flygirl757
My Cars:

Post by flygirl757 »

WOW! As usual, lots of impressive rapid replies. I'll ask my mechanic (boyfriend - lol) to try all that BUT, just in case it is the flasher unit anybody know where it is? I'm just hoping a night in disgrace on the driveway will make her (Claudia, the car) behave - lol - but, somehow, I doubt it - lol. That's called burying my head in the sand - lol. x
1994 Xantia 1.9TD
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's above the throttle pedal - the biggest of the relays, possibly orange. Or green. Or purple. I can't remember which!
Richard W
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

RichardW wrote:It's above the throttle pedal - the biggest of the relays, possibly orange. Or green. Or purple. I can't remember which!
Or even blue or white... :lol:

The orange one I believe is the heated rear window relay/timer...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

If it turns out to be the indicator stalk I did a write up (with pictures) on how to clean up the contacts etc.;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=49528
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!