No clutch, then no engine.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: C5:Hatch & an Esatate. Real cruisemobiles.

No clutch, then no engine.

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Xsara 2004 2.0HDi. 110bhp's.
School run Friday morning, graunched into 2nd from 3rd then stuck in 3rd. Pulled onto the verge (must have gotten out of gear somehow as I did) but couldn't select any gear with engine running, clutch gone pedal gone loose. So not really sure if that's a hydraulic clutch mech or a thrust bearing prob. Anyway no clutch use at all.
RAC home? Well, only 3 miles to get back so with engine off I stuck it into 2nd, turned the key and launched forwards. Managed to swing around in a layby and made a T junction without stopping. Quite pleased with myself too. Anyway nearly home (3k to 3.5k revs at 30mph-ish), engine spluttered and died, never to restart. Towed home.
Plenty of fuel, can hear the pump spin, fuel to filter.
But, stuck the Lexia on and:
"Crankshaft - camshaft synchronising. Engine speed signal variation too sudden" and
"Crankshaft - camshaft synchronising. Engine speed sensor and camshaft sensor signal coherence"
Thought that I may have snapped the belt over revving (don't think I revved it that much..). Had a look and the belt's still intact.
So, could it have jumped a tooth? Tension seems ok
Cam sensor seems ok but can't find the crank sensor so far. Any hints please?
Can't be pure coincidence, can it? Oh yes, I forgot. It can be, it's French :)
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: No clutch, then no engine.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

.. so with engine off I stuck it into 2nd, turned the key and launched forwards. Managed to swing around in a layby and made a T junction without stopping..
Now I know why they scrambled that squadron of Tornados over our house on Friday! :lol:
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Maybe I'd been RF-pulsed by the fighter as it went overhead having fried all my electrics?
XantiaTD's(all gone). BXGTi, sold (sob). C5 2.2Hdi SE Exc Hatch. C5 2.2 Estate auto. Xsara Hdi estate. Yam YZF750, Zoom. GSX-S750, mmm.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, they do have a tendency to do that - or the UFOs they are chasing here!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Does it register an engine speed on Lexia when it's being cranked? I wonder if part of the clutch (I thought maybe DMF, but looks like a solid flywheel) has flailed about in the bell housing and taken the crank sensor out - AFAIK it's on the top of the bell housing somewhere, buried under a load of wiring.
Richard W
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Ah, that's a good idea, I'll try that tomorrow, the sensor's got to be there somewhere. I've not got a wiring diagram for it to see where the sensor wires terminate but if/when I find it I could try buzzing it out, compare one when sensor to the other. I do think the Lexia check would be a good place to start though. TVM.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I recall when somebody had an explosive clutch failure on a C4. Although the clutch was then replaced, the bell housing wasn't cleaned out properly, and when the revs went over a certain level the remaining debris was picked up and spun around, shortening the life of the crank sensor somewhat. Once the remains of the clutch were cleaned out (and the sensor was replaced) the problem was resolved.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Just plugged the Lexia back on - In Main Parameters: no crank speed showing and no (sensor) sync. Couldn't find an option to monitor the cam sensor speed but I don't think I need to really.
With airbox & battery etc in place I cannot even see the crank sensor wiring so I'll strip all the gubbins off to take a look next.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I don't think it gives a cam speed read out - it just checks they are synched at cranking, then ignores it afterwards.

Here's the sensor circled in red. Probably under the thermostat housing somewhere!

I've changed the clutch in a 306 HDi - not the easiest, but not too difficult really. There is a cooler attached to the back of the box (where 307 est) is written in the photo (although that might not be the exact box, and I wonder if that is an EGS activator...) which is hard to remove - we were draining the coolant anyway so took the hoses off, but access to the fastenings is hard. Oh, and changing the clutch cable if you decide that's a good idea..... :rofl2: :rofl2: :twisted:
Richard W
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Yes, pretty sure you're right re the cam sensor, didn't bother spending too much time in Lexia looking for it.
Thanks for posting the photo. I think mine's slightly different though, it looks like the sensor's a screw-in type. Just about to take it out for a peek and the heavens have just opened.
Hydraulic clutch so maybe I'm saved a small amount of bother there.
Laters. (as my daughters say...)
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Ladies & Gentlemen, may I present a slightly worse for wear gearbox sensor.

Now I'm no Einstein but I reckon that just might be my problem.
Thanks very much for everyone's help on here for diagnosing correctly :-D

New sensor ordered. Now I want to try the new one out, make sure that the engine returns to life so I'll have to risk damaging the replacement. Then I'll get another clutch.
I'm planning on hoisting the gearbox up & out, or is there an easier way? (apart from dragging the car to a garage that is)
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Sorry, meant to add, it is pretty similar to Richards photo & is definitely a b@gg@r to get to.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would seriously check the clutch area first. If the clutch shed any bits when it failed, and they are still in the area, they will get picked up and flung around and could break the new sensor. This is what happened to the C4 of my friend. He got about 50 miles out of a replacement sensor before the debris took it apart.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

Good luck with it. Your photos certainly suggest the grey casing's sustained some impact, so hopefully the internals have also been upset/affected, & you don't have to look elsewhere to solve the problem
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
Monkeyfeet
(Donor 2022)

Post by Monkeyfeet »

Thanks for that, I agree, there's a more than a fair chance that the replacement's going to mangled too.
I can't put it back on the road 'cos the clutch is non-existant but I just need to make sure it'll run again before buying and fitting a new clutch. Rock and hard place really, but at least the sensors only £18, versus a clutch for what could be a dead engine at £100 ish.
So tomorrow morning: new sensor in, turn key, (fingers crossed) engine starts, engine straight off again, quick.