DW10 rhr clutch kit

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

KP
My Cars:

DW10 rhr clutch kit

Post by KP »

I'm toying with the idea of buying a C5 with one of these engines but as expected with 170k on the original clutch and dmf there is a rattle...

Now I'm thinking if I go for it I'll got for the solid flywheel lot and get the flywheel lightened as its only £50 at a local machine shop.

Question is, are the DW10 clutches all the same from the 110-170bhp versions?

I'm guessing the 170bhp versions are updated for more torque and power but can't be sure as some sellers quote then as covering 110-135bhp and then 136-170bhp...

It's not going to be used for towing, hardly thrashed as it will be for cruising but may get a remap with egr and egr cooler delete...

My thinking is if the 110units are fine for the rhr engine then I could get a used flywheel and lighten it and then a normal clutch kit for less than the solid conversion kits and much less than the dmf kits out there and still use genuine bits :)
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: DW10 rhr clutch kit

Post by lexi »

Are you not going to lose out somewhere else in lightening the flywheel? Vibration or heat transfer, tickover, to a possibly overstressed gearbox?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

Idle isn't too much of a worry as they aren't that bad, low end torque just cruising along with the clutch in carparks is affected but again not a concern for a car for motorway cruising and the only small extra stress would be the clutch surface itself during take up. Gearbox would have a full fluid drain and refill which will help it but they aren't the weakest or lightest boxes around.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Not sure which engine the RHR is - but the 138 BHP version uses a very different clutch to the 110 RHZ version. The 138 clutch is an LUK self adjusting push clutch, whereas the 110 is a Valeo pull clutch - not that easy to swap I'd have thought. The 138 uses the 6 speed ML6 box as well, there might be differences in that too. Oh, and fitting one is, er, interesting - albeit easier than a 2.5TD XM.....! Not sure why you'd want to lighten the flywheel on a diesel - this done for competition use to allow the engine to spool up faster, at the expense of low speed roughness, and lots of revs needed to pull away - seems to be the antithesis of diesel driving.
Richard W
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I was thinking it would help when on long journeys to ease the unsprung weight the engine is fighting and as it would do veg little if any low speed driving it wouldn't be a problem :)

Good info on the clutches so I can keep an eye out for a cheap rhr clutch and just stick with that.

Are the flywheels the same though? I guess I'll need to check service futon and see what engines have the same one as see it w scrap one could be bought chap :)