Xantia Estate Rear Wiper - Driver a plonker!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ecohouse1
My Cars: Rover 75 CDT TourerAuto , , Mercedes 190E 1.8 1993, 2CV6 Special 1987, Peugeot 206 1.1 2001. Repairs and maintenance of two Hyundai i10s
Deceased
Xantia TD Estate 1999 (now with Chris Morewood)
Xsara 1.9D Saloon
BXTZD Break
BXTGD Hatch
Peugeot 309 1.9D
Various 2CVs
Porsche 924 lux
Porsche 924S
Renault Clio 1.4 Auto
GSA Pallas
Triumph Herald 1200

Xantia Estate Rear Wiper - Driver a plonker!

Post by ecohouse1 »

I was a plonker. Had a bike rack on the rear windscreen and instead of reaching to the left stalk to operate my fog lamps in the dank gloom of an Aberdeenshire morning, I twisted the right stalk. :( The wiper goes up about 5" then rams into the bike rack when it stops. Of course I am in moving heavy traffic so no chance of jumping out to hurriedly pull out bike rack. When I eventuall stop 20 mins later. Remove bike rack and the wiper (following a nudge) continues its unimpeded sweep, however when it gets to the same "place" again it sticks. With a gentle nudge it continues its travel, so the motor and park switch are good.

Is it likely I have stripped a gear? Anyone had this and resolved it?

Cheers
Alan
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: Xantia Estate Rear Wiper - Driver a plonker!

Post by Stickyfinger »

Judgement of the Committee is as follows: the Award will be Transferred for this Act.

Awarded for silly forgetfulness and the incident being caused by carrying a Bike:
A single demerit was awarded for attempting to gain the award (see thread title), however not significant vrs carrying a human powered form of transport.

Judgement on this day of 6th November in the year of our Lord 2015

NobHead of The Week Award
Committee Chairman

(This award will be transferred to a new owner who does an equally (or worse) silly thing to another FRENCH car in due course)

BTY: If you need a new motor I have one but I would think there are quite a few about
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
rory_perrett
My Cars: Xantia Exclusive 110Hdi Estate 1999

Re: Xantia Estate Rear Wiper - Driver a plonker!

Post by rory_perrett »

Yep, the spindle on mine had seized. The metal worm gear on the motor had done a great job of chewing up the plastic cog when I opened it up to have a look. Its probably designed that way to stop the motor stalling and overheating or worse. It's not really something you can fix so I suspect its new (used) motor time - that was my solution.