Xantia heater problem

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

superloopy
My Cars:

Xantia heater problem

Post by superloopy »

Guys ... the slider between the setting for external air and recirculated air on my S1 turbodiesel appears to have bust. It just flicks from one position to another with absolutely no resistance and no flap movement as far as i can tell. So ... what has given up and more to the point can it be fixed?I suspect my heater matrix is on the way out as well (that'll be three cars needing it done) as i spent most of last evening trying to keep condensation off the inside of the car. Not easy.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk
Last edited by superloopy on 31 Oct 2015, 14:44, edited 2 times in total.
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Xantia heater problem

Post by CitroJim »

Mike, this is a common problem and is caused by a kink in the cable happening because the flap has gone a bit tight...

Sadly, it's a whole dash and heater box out job to fix...

Once the cable is kinked (and you'll most likely see the kink at the slider end), it's almost impossible to unkink.

I'd be tempted to manually move the flap to fresh air in all the time by removing the blower assembly and reaching up and manually operating the flap.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The recirculation of air is one thing I have never used on any car I drive. All it does for me is make the car steaming up nearly instantly, in my view very dangerous.

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Same here Davie, I have never used recirculated air.. I like mine fresh ;)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Depends if the Muck-Throwers are out for me or if I am behind one of those Xantia or Land Rovers running on Chip Shop Fuel :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
superloopy
My Cars:

Post by superloopy »

Not what i wanted to hear but .... thanks anyway :( although my slider just seems to have nothing attached to it, just flips backward and forward as if attached to thin air. Possible the cable has detached completely?
Mike

Xantia Activa Dante Red MK1 (96) 121k - SORN, to be broken
Xantia Activa Silex Grey MK2 (98) 120k -SORN, ditto
Xantia V6 Silex Grey MK2 (98) 95k - non-runner
Xantia TD Storm Grey MK1 (95) 95k - non-runner
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Northerner wrote: Possible the cable has detached completely?
Worth a look Mike as a kink in the cable normally makes the slider feel a bit springy whist doing nothing...
Stickyfinger wrote:Depends if the Muck-Throwers are out for me or if I am behind one of those Xantia or Land Rovers running on Chip Shop Fuel :)
It's good for you Alasdair... The first cures a multitude of illnesses and clears the sinuses a treat whilst the second makes you feel ravenous :)
Jim

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

the first put you off the second...:)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

By the time you smell the muck throwers it's too late, your past the smell and your sinuses are cleared and chip fat smell-I'm saying nothing lol

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

It's a good point, why recirculate the poo smell? Usually flip it across by the time i've caught a whiff and it still stinks
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

CitroJim wrote:Mike, this is a common problem and is caused by a kink in the cable happening because the flap has gone a bit tight...

Sadly, it's a whole dash and heater box out job to fix...

Once the cable is kinked (and you'll most likely see the kink at the slider end), it's almost impossible to unkink.
Not completely impossible though Jim. :)

I managed to repair a kinked cable on my previous V6 even though it was kinked completely into a V shape.

The way I did it was to carefully straighten out the kink with a pair of pliers and also grease the cable where it goes into the sleeve to help reduce the chance of it happening again, but the real trick to prevent it happening again is to disengage the cable at the end, turn it 180 degrees and re-engage it. That way the strain on the cable when the lever pushes the cable tries to bend the cable in the opposite direction to that which the cable originally kinked, thus avoiding it re-kinking! :mrgreen:

That repair lasted for the year or so that I kept the car...

I posted some pictures in one of my other threads unfortunately the user profile section won't let me browse my file attachments to find it. (It says attachments are disabled on the forum)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Boden cables due to internal drag are really designed for a slow constant movement.........do not shove them across quickly to avoid kinking of the inner cable....
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Also don't try to adjust that flap while the fan is on full speed! That's the usual cause of failure. There is so much air pressure from the fan on full speed that it actually prevents you from moving the flap in one direction - if you try to force it against the full speed fan you will eventually get a kinked cable.

So it's important to avoid adjusting it when the fan is on full speed because even with my 180 degree tweak the cable will be weaker than it was when new. After repairing mine I avoided doing this and did not have any further problems.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Mandrake wrote: I managed to repair a kinked cable on my previous V6 even though it was kinked completely into a V shape.
Well done Simon :-D I must confess no success at all with the ones I've tried to fix despite trying your technique...

I hope that'll give you some hope it can be fixed Mike!
Jim