Oil in header tank - cit bx

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Geoff Lebowski

Oil in header tank - cit bx

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

Xud 9 block bored to make a xud11 - block of unknown/untested origin.
Head from my pervious trusty bx steed. I did unwittingly run this head for about 5 minutes without coolant!!
Warp check on head showed to be in tolerance - just.
New mls 2.1 gasket and new bolts torqued to Cit spec for 1.9td which is a bit tighter than 1.7 td.
Emulsified Oil in header tank and water globules on dipstick.
Can't see bubbles in header tank.
Starts and runs very well.

Possible causes in order of preference!
Do bolts need to be tighter for a larger bore?
Porous oil cooler - does this happen?
Need head skim?
Porous head?
Porous/cracked block?

Have I missed anything?
Has anyone pressure tested an oil cooler? Shouldn't be to tricky? I have a compressor.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Oil in header tank - cit bx

Post by CitroJim »

Hi Geoff, check the oil cooler if all else appears good. They are known to fail...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Geoff Lebowski

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

Hi Jim,
I did wonder, but I've never had one fail on me before so I was in the dark a bit. However, I will elaborate as I think all might actually be ok.
As I wasn't sure if the engine was going to work (in theory yes it should but you never know!) I re-used the old head bolts just to save on my tight budget. Not only was I a tad ginger with the final angular tightening, but I've since discovered I used a much lower angle than hbol specifies. This led to the oil in the header tank and indeed bubbling. I then bought new bolts and tightened correctly. This I assumed had solved the problem. It was last night that I thought I'd check the coolant level and found the oil again. My hope, is that the trip to the mot station and back has flushed any remaining oil to the header tank and provided a false alert that all isn't well. I've just been out and cleaned the header tank as best I could, so after a re-test on Monday, I'll run it about and see if I get more oil. Will keep you posted!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Ahh, now I understand Geoff... Hope that's all now good and that was just a bit of remaining oil from earlier in there... Fingers crossed..

Let us know how it goes...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Maybe take a few flushes once you know it has stopped leaking. Is this a big growler 2.1td in a BX?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Geoff Lebowski

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

Thank you both Jim and Lexi - I will keep you posted. Lexi It's a 2.1 (xud11 crankshaft and Pistons) inside an 1.9 td lump. Normal xud 8v head. Goes rather well although I've only driven to mot station and back - about 3 miles in total!!
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

Sounds excellent and best of luck with her.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Having played this game on a Jag XJ6 I can attest to the fact that it can take quite a while to get shot of the oily gunk in the header tank. If you can easily give the radiator and heater matrix a thorough reverse flush, it's worth it as quite a lot of it clings in there.

Do imagine that will make a BX shuffle along quite briskly given that I don't find my Xantia lacking in get up and go despite being a standard (as far as I know...the jury is still out on whether the fuel pump has been lightly twiddled with) XUD9TE.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

Check if theres a locking collar on the adjustment nipple between where the diesel pipes enter the pump Zel. If it's still there then your pump hasn't been turned up.
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Post by Old-Guy »

I can attest to the fact that it takes a lot of effort to clean an XUD cooling system of oil and you'll never get it all out! The problem with flushing is that as the coolant drains down, the oil floating on the surface gets spread downwards onto all the solid surfaces of the cooling system.

What has worked for me is to attach small strips of oil absorbing mat to the bottom of the level-indicating insert in the header tank, changing the strip whenever it's saturated with oil.

See page 612 of the Spill Control Section of this Pirtek Catalogue; explain what you want at the parts desk of your local Pirtek depot, you might get given a piece of suitable map for free!

Loosely, but securely, attach a strip about 30mm x 100mm to the bottom of the header tank insert with a cable tie. Make a generous loop so that the tie can be cut and refasten when the strip is loaded with oil. The strip will also be soaked with coolant which will readily drain off (DO NOT SQUEEZE) leaving the oil trapped in the mat. I changed the strip every time there was a trace of oil floating in the tank - half-a-dozen strips, two years and 10,000 miles later, the coolant is staying clean though the current strip is black again.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Guy, that's a good tip to clear any oil...
Jim

myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I wonder if Forte's Cooling System Flush would help?
Geoff Lebowski

Post by Geoff Lebowski »

Thank you all very much for your advice and support. I'm slowly coming to the realisation (or deluding myself) that the problem is indeed fixed but it is residual oil making me think that it wasn't. She's in for re-mot tomorrow and pending a pass, I shall run her about and see how things pan out. If all seems ok, then I shall indeed refresh the relevant fluids and use the oil absorbant mat as suggested by 'old guy'. Although, it has crossed my mind to use a dilute degreaser in the cooling system for a three mile round trip and in the same day flush out and replenish with proper coolant. Can any one see a harm in this?
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Personally I wouldn't, most are based on various "salts" and that is not great for the internals......I like the mat
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

Drop a dishwasher tablet in and run it for a couple of days, then flush and refill. :-)
1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!