2002 2.2 Auto C5 - Lots Of Odd Problems?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

IHateMySelf
My Cars: Citroen C5 HDI 2.2 Auto 2001 (51)

2002 2.2 Auto C5 - Lots Of Odd Problems?

Post by IHateMySelf »

Hi, I recently acquired a C5 with 134,000 miles on the clock, its a 2.2 HDI Automatic (4 speed?) Exclusive.

The reason for purchase is I have a really bad back and couldn't afford much of an expensive car, my budget was 500 and I was recommended Citroen's as they have air suspension or something to that effect that make them really comfy (and right they do! It soaks up the bumps really nice!)

It came with 12 months M.O.T so I thought it should be good for at least one year, on the initial (albeit short) test drive I never spotted any of the following problems:

1) The car pulls to the left in and around town, I checked all the tyre pressures and all of them are good.
2) The steering is pretty heavy but manageable. Possibly related to above?
3) Sluggish 1000-2250 rpm acceleration. I know its a turbo, but I doubt what I am experiencing is turbo-lag..
4) Computer button does not work, so stuck on time.
5) STOP sign appeared but then went away when I pulled over and waited.
6) Coolant Low message keeps appearing on screen but the coolant seems topped up?
7) Electric Windows come down when I use wipers (lol)
8) Rear bushes Clank when going over speed bumps, its not a problem but is this dangerous?
9) Possible faint, odd hissing / tingling sound from around engine when driving (or just my imagination?)

Sorry for the long list but I wish I had asked on a forum before hand, nevertheless whats done is done. I'm more interested in the sluggish takeoff, the stop warning and the coolant low message that keeps appearing as these seem pretty serious. I was going to take a 400 mile round trip in the next few days so wanted to see if it was even safe to do so. :)

Thanks fellas!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: 2002 2.2 Auto C5 - Lots Of Odd Problems?

Post by Stickyfinger »

Hi....welcome to the forum.

I think sadly that I will be giving you some bad news...

1. I would think this is a brake problem, more often the near side calliper gets sticky ?, does your handbrake stick on as well ?
2. Maybe, it would need to be checked as there are a number of reasons for heavy steering
3. Either a leak in the intake/intercooler, blocked fuel filter or a MAF sensor, my bet would be fuel filter and if not a good first start anyway.
4. Broken button ?
5. Many reasons again, when did you last check the LDS level ?
6. Often just a faulty sensor or broken wire to the level sensor
7. A BSI reset will often cure the electrical problems, this however sounds like a duff wheel comms unit...the "slip" unit between the steering wheel
and the car. http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=43609
8. The "clank" you hear is NOT bushes, it is the rear radius arm (trailing arm) bearings which have failed. These will cost about £350-£500 per side to fix in a garage I am afraid (if you cannot do it yourself.....how skilled are you with DIY Spannering ?
http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=48644
9. Leak in the Intercooler/Intake system >? , maybe a reason for the sluggish pick-up ?

Point 8 is the big one

Where are you based....a member may be able to help more if local to you...

Best of luck
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

Welcome.
Sorry to read your list of problems. They're very good cars when looked after/working properly and you have a nice spec there, in exclusive trim 8-)
You may have been unlucky with this particular purchase by the sounds of it, but everything can be sorted with time (and probably a bit of money of course).

4) Do you mean one of the buttons next to the central display that is meant to page through the different information screens?
There is another way of paging through, which is a button on the end of the washer stalk. Does that work?
If not... It makes sticky's suggestion about the cause of 8 seem even more likely?
A replacement from a breaker (try a local yard or eBay) would be the solution.

5) and 6). Check all fluid levels (LDS, brake fluid, coolant etc) as the starting point.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

On point 8 you might want to give Malcolm at Savoy a call. He quoted me £400 to £500 to do the rear arm bearings (assuming there were no hidden problems). This is a link to his site;

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 15&t=42544
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
IHateMySelf

Post by IHateMySelf »

Hi guys, thanks for all the replies, much appreciated.

Regarding the rear bearings, what will happen if I don't change them exactly?

Also a sticky calliper was mentioned, is that an easy fix?

I'll check all the fluids again tonight just to make sure. One other thing, when is the best time to check? When the engine is running or when its cold?

Oddly enough I really like the car even though I never thought much of Citroens or gave them a second look, the comfort is absolutely amazing!

It came with 12 months MOT and cambelt/waterpump already sorted etc so it sounded like it was well taken care of, my mistake for not taking it out for a longer drive, silly me!

Thanks again guys!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Regarding the trailing arm bearings, if you leave it too long the tubes they sit in become ovoid and new bearings won't help.
It gets very expensive after that.

As for comfort, if the opportunity presents itself, try and get a ride in or drive of a CX or XM.
Even a well looked after Xantia.
World of difference.
IHateMySelf

Post by IHateMySelf »

Thanks for the reply

are you suggesting the Xantia is a more comfy car then the C5? What about cabin noise etc?

Anyway, regarding the trailing arm, I can probably help find a few friends to give me a hand with it, so parts wise I think it should cost around £50?

I'll check the fluids first thing tomorrow morning.

Thanks again!
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It was a while between my GS and Xantia. I expected the Xantia to be a better ride and while it was good, it wasn't quite what I had hoped for.
Same went with the Xantia/C5.

Getting out of my C5 and driving Jim's Activa - world of difference (although Jim's cars are always kept in peak condition)

And a ride in an Xm (well looked after) to pick up my new(er) C5, once again, the older car wins hands down.

I'm not saying it is uncomfortable and I quite like it for many reasons. The leather seats are very comfortable (but my daughter's SAAB was better)
The suspension is fairly good to excellent compared to it's rivals. I was almost seduced by my (same) daughter's Rover 75 Connoisseur but getting back in the C5 made me rethink that one.
I do like the spaciousness, it goes reasonably well and I have driven 400 miles without a break and was still relaxed at the end of it. Many complain about the lights but they seem fine to me.

As for cabin noise, the Xantia is probably quieter - than mine at least.

This is mine:

Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Callipers (nearside ones) suffer either sticking on brake off or the classic handbrake lock-up....both will destroy the disk quickly.....you can free them but not for long. I have tried twice, the problem always came back at the most awkward time :)

Parts should be £50-£75 per side yes, the link lists the numbers.

Xantia is a very different car and yes has higher cabin/road noise, I did not find my ones more comfortable as it is a much smaller car and thus rides in a different way. (present one excluded as different again).

Do you know how to check levels of LDS in a C5 ( LDS...LDS....LDS, not LHM) ?
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
IHateMySelf

Post by IHateMySelf »

Hi, thanks for the reply, I'll have to check in the morning, I googled some pics so it should be easy?

Also, I realised that the oil temperature gauge? (the right side, next to rev counter) is always on the blue position, as in, cold?
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

I think when you buy a car like that, you have bought a project IME. Hopefully a manageable one :lol: Only had mine 3 months.
The MK 1 cars are tank like. I like them, I mean you don't love them as they are not drivers cars. Useful comfy and frugal are the 2.0 hdi manuals. I propose to keep mine.
I have a front offside caliper that squeaks underway at times. Noise will cease when touch of brake applied. The calipers are newish and pads thick and even too. I ground a little wear lip off the disc and removed pads. Checked the fit and fettled them a bit with file at tight spots. Greased the contact points.
The noise went away.........for 2 days. Need to strip and check slides and pistons maybe. They may not have been assembled with proper grease or are poor parts. Disc may be warped. I will overhaul hand brake mechs in spring. It is greased and free ATM.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

re: checking the fluids, always cold, engine off.
Oil temp should come up (very slowly, may not register if only doing very short runs?). If you're doing long runs but the oil temp gauge stays always in the blue, I would suggest the sensor is knackered, although I've no idea if that is a common problem.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

The one thing that WILL pay for itself is a Lexia interface for a Laptop.....about £100-150....IMHO the thing is essential (and well priced)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
IHateMySelf

Post by IHateMySelf »

Hi, thanks for all the replies,

is it possible for any of the members here to take a look at the car today or tomorrow? I'm planning on taking a 400 mile round trip on Thursday and not sure if its safe to do so now.

I can drive to you no problem, I'm in the east London area but as I said, I don't mind driving 50+ miles to have it checked out by someone who knows what their looking at instead of being ripped off by a garage here.

Thanks guys, much appreciated!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

On point 8 - similar issue thread here: http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... hp?t=36618
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc