wibbly wobbly column shroud

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

wibbly wobbly column shroud

Post by chinkostu »

The steering column shroud on the Xantia is perilously loose, so much so that using the indicators moves the whole assembly before the stalk! I've found the two screws and tightened them but it's still flapping about :shock:

Is it a wheel off job to fix?
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: wibbly wobbly column shroud

Post by CitroJim »

On nan S1 it is, yes :twisted: On an S2 you can get away with it..

Sadly a lot of Xantia shrouds have suffered this fate as many don't know about the hidden screw holding the two halves togetjer and break this bit in trying to remove them..

In essences, there's three screws underneath and then, once those are out, gently start to split the top half from the bottom and then on the RH side, you'll see the hidden screw going in from the top to hold the bottom half... This may be broken.

This hidden screw must be removed before the bottom half will come off..

Once you see how it all works, you should be able to effect a repair...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

Ah damn, i'd rather not disturb the wheel as the radio controls actually work, but if i have to i've no choice :(
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

They're not bad, I've had a few Xantia wheels off over the years and no problems so far.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:They're not bad, I've had a few Xantia wheels off over the years and no problems so far.
Yes, just remember not to remove the wheel nut completely so that when ylou go to tap the wheel off you don't end up with a faceful of steering wheel and a split lip of at worst a broken tooth...

I know, I've done it :twisted: :oops: :lol:

Also, make sure you remove the wheel with the steering 'straight ahead' and be especially careful to align the rotary contact set properly... It has an alignment mark of two arrows on gears that line up when properly aligned straight-ahead...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...