My new C5 but colour fluid looks dirty but to need replace??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fv43576

My new C5 but colour fluid looks dirty but to need replace??

Post by fv43576 »

Thank you for all your help on other forum on 'Decide which C5 to buy?' Now I have bought a C5 2.0HDI 110 VTR 2004 with 94,000miles on the clock Red. Lovely car on long ride on motorways it do surprise me, but anyway I have service on my own put a new oil, oil filter, gearbox oil, new ebc brakes, disc and philips 130% bright bulbs. But one thing I can't find is the brake fluid. Is that share with same fluid on suspension fluid????? The suspension fluid looks very dirty brown last one service was in 61,000 miles by other own. Should I change it or leave it forever?
If it need to change what is the best way to drain the fluid is when the suspension is on max top or max lower? is there any nimble to bleed or itself bleed??
Cos I order a manual book from Amazon last week and it is lost on the way but I need to do it tomorrow (Sunday) without the book! help will be alot appreciate :-D
dnsey

Re: My new C5 but colour fluid looks dirty but to need replace??

Post by dnsey »

Is it the brake fluid or the suspension fluid that you are thinking of changing?
The C5 braking system is conventional, and the fluid can be changed by bleeding-off the old fluid at the caliper nipples while topping-up the resevoir.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Also, C5's use LDS which is NOT green as with LHM, ....LDS is golden brown
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
fv43576

Post by fv43576 »

When you open the bonnet on left there is big tank cream you can see through, at bottom there is very dark brown little debris than top, you said is golden brown then it alright because I though it was green how can turn out so brown I though it was dirty but debris at bottom should not be there. Do you recommend to change? or just top up because level bit low
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I would do a LHS change urgently if there is dirt in there. eg, tank out and wash the filters etc.

NOTE: Below is NOT based on you Vin number so MAY be incorrect for your car:
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

The level of fluid should be quite low, not much above the bottom of the 'strainer' but is should be clean and clear.
I have a photo of the level but can't find it on either Photobucket account and have to make a run for it in a few minutes, will check the other hosting sites later for it though.
The presence of debris as a concern though as it should be kept clinically clean. A drain and refill could be on the horizon but the source of the debris needs to be found first.

Ninja'd by Sticky :(
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Agree, collect the debris in a filter, if its metallic then look deeper (but I cannot see where that would come from)
LDS should be a Honey colour btw, NOT a dark brown.....As you are going to do (you really have to) a fluid change, then maybe not a worry ?

My only concern is (not knowing how brown it is/what the debris is), that LHM has been put in it and the debris is the remains of seals....if it even does that , I do not know just how compatible it is.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

LHM is said to be compatible with LDS seals.
My concern would be that it's brake fluid, which might be darkish brown, and would have the seals for breakfast!
Either way, a flush and fluid change is in order.
You may need to apply slight positive pressure. to the tank afterwards, to prime the pump ( a spare cap with a tyre valve fitted and a bicycle pump will do)
fv43576

Post by fv43576 »

Ok I will flush all debris out put fresh LDS, one question do I really need to drop the suspension height to max low or max high before empty fluid or does not really make any different?
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

I've not looked into changing the fluid on my c5 yet so don't know the actual procedure, but to answer the question about whether it makes any difference having the suspension lowered or not - yes, undoubtedly it does.
With the suspension lowered, all (nearly all) the fluid is returned to the reservoir.
If the suspension is still up, a large quantity is still in the system around the car.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I'm not sure of the correct procedure, but would be cautious about changing all the fluid (or as much as you can) in one go. If you get air in the 'plumbing', there are bleed valves in the system which can only be operated via Lexia - likewise the ABS system.