-02 Xsara HDI 2.0 - Key not recognized after battery disconnect / reconnect

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

manabreak
New User
My Cars: -02 Xsara HDI 2.0

-02 Xsara HDI 2.0 - Key not recognized after battery disconnect / reconnect

Post by manabreak »

I checked for some faulty wires in the rear left door and for that, I disconnected the battery. After I was done, I reconnected the battery, but now the key is not recognized at all. The engine does turn when I try to start, but it won't start. Also the central locking system won't lock or unlock by pressing the buttons on the key. Similarly, the spare key (no buttons on that one) doesn't start the engine.

There's the little yellow key sign on and the small red LED on the hazard blinker button is also on. I've tried turning the ignition on and pressing the buttons on the key for various times (10s, 30s, 1 minute...) to no avail. I tried both buttons simultaenously and individually. I've also done the "three minute rule" reset where I turned everything off, took the key out of the barrel, opened the driver's window and the bonnet and waited about five minutes before disconnecting the battery. After a while I reconnected it and heard a "bong" sound come from the cabin. I waited a moment, turned the lights on through the window, waited some more, put the key into the barrel, turned ignition on... And the lights are on. Again, I tried the button pressing thingy but it didn't help.

What I've read from other posts is that the "bong" sound should happen when the lights are turned on (or other "soft" boot is done), but in my case, the sound happens almost instantly after reconnecting the battery.

Also, I called to a friendly car repair shop where they said that it could be the fuel cut-off switch and told me to locate it and press it. I searched for it for a looong time, but couldn't find it. The manual says it should be on either of the suspension mounts, but nope, nothing there. I tried tracing every cord and hose I could find, but no cut-off switch.

Is there anything I can do? Or do I just have to call the shop and tow the car there?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: -02 Xsara HDI 2.0 - Key not recognized after battery disconnect / reconnect

Post by RichardW »

Welcome! It sounds like the BSI has forgotten some settings - possibly because you were a bit hasty in taking the battery off before it had gone to sleep.... Anyway, it will need to be put on a Lexia Diagnostic computer to re-program the keys (and possibly the whole BSI). You may well be best in buying the Lexia kit and doing it yourself, as otherwise it will need to go to a Citroen dealer, who will no doubt charge the earth!
Richard W
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

You will also need the 4 digit imobiliser security code to reprogram the keys.
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by lexi »

You will also need the 4 digit imobiliser security code to reprogram the keys.
Where is that obtained from?
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You can get that from Citroen, but (depending on the dealership) you might need to take proof of ownership with you. They will probably charge a fee, about £10.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

The code should have been supplied with the car when new in the handbook pack, it would have been on a grey plastic credit card style card with a code on it.