W reg 2.1 XM Head Gasket failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevelp

W reg 2.1 XM Head Gasket failure

Post by stevelp »

Hi.
The head gasket on my unblemished 2.1 XM has failed. One of the water pipes failed about 6 months ago and possibly overheated the engine, and now the head gasket has blown. Copius amounts of gas being ejected from the expansion tank.
From what I've seen this is not an easy job, the engine is in a horrible position, looks like taking the engine out might be the easiest thing to do.
Any suggestions? Anyone want to do this work or suggest someone! I'm rather stuck as I don't have a garage (or the time) to do this myself.

Pity as it is one of the last year 2000 XMs with perfect unrusty bodywork!
Cheers
Steve
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: W reg 2.1 XM Head Gasket failure

Post by Peter.N. »

I have done one on an XM with the engine in situ but it takes a lot of patience. If you remove the top engine mount you can tilt the engine forward which gives you a bit more room. I took the turbo off with the head as its almost impossible to get the exhaust manifold nuts undone - if you can even get to them, disconnecting the oil feed to the turbo takes some gymnastics but it can be done. The head with the manifolds and turbo is very heavy so you will probably need help lifting it off.

Don't know how many miles yours has done but they usually go at around 150k, if you fit a replacement laminated steel gasket it should last almost indefinitely. I ran 2.1 estates for 15 years or more but they were so cheap that if the h/g went you could afford to throw them away and buy another.

Lovely car and engine though, probably the best IDI engine ever made, regularly got 50+mpg on a run, almost as good as the Hdi but much smoother at low revs.

Peter
Eddie Nuff
New User
My Cars:

Post by Eddie Nuff »

stevelp wrote:Anyone want to do this work or suggest someone!
There is that bloke over North Wales . . . can't remember his name . . . only happy when he's knee deep in XM's. :roll: :P
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

You don't mean citroemxm, do you?
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Worth a try. Paul that is, you will find him on the XM forum. Or look him up on here.

Peter