Alternative Sphere Remover

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom
1998 Xantia 2.1 VXD Estate in Mauritius Blue - R.I.P. (terminal tin-worm)

Alternative Sphere Remover

Post by Old-Guy »

When it comes to removing tight spheres, strap wrenches usually aren't man enough and snap, or the webbing has too much 'give' to take up in the available space.

Recently, when I came to remove the accumulator sphere on the Green Lady, my new home-made sphere remover would fit into the available space without damaging the radiator. In desperation I tried the big strap wrench I usually use for oil filters, but I simply couldn't wind up the stretch in the available space to apply nearly enough torque. However, this 'wrench' (Clarke CHT245) has ⅜” and ½” square drives in opposite ends of the cylindrical body, and, while there's not enough space alongside the sphere to get even a slim ratchet in the ⅜”at end to wind it up with a pair of ratchets, it was possible to hold the body still with a 21mm open-ended spanner while rotating back the ½” ratchet for another bite; after two or three bites had taken virtually all the 'give' out of the strap, I substituted my 900mm ½” breaker bar for the ratchet. Then something had to give! The sphere joint literally 'cracked' off and then of course the sphere just spun off without any trouble.
A bit of a fiddle and several attempts to have everything to hand and in the right place, but when you're desperate...

If the strap is oily, sprinkle with sand for better grip (works on oil filters!) and wash afterwards to remove both oil and sand.

This might help someone else.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
xantos
My Cars: Xantia 1.9TD Break non-hydractive (1999)
Xantia 3.0 V6 Activa (1998)
C4 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mk2 (2010)

Re: Alternative Sphere Remover

Post by xantos »

I found out that the best tool for removing spheres is this:

But really big ones! 8-)
Xantia Break 1.9TD (jammed b****!)
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT + LPG (1998) (peeing b****!) RIP
Xantia Activa 2.0 TCT (1998) (burnt b****!)
Xantia Activa 3.0 V6 (1998) (not a b****! yet :-D )
C4 Exclusive 2.0 HDi (gear shifting b****!)
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Guy, I'e got one of those fabric strap wrenches.. Only difference is mine has blue fabric and is made by Draper...

they do work quite well although mine was originally procured for oil filters.. They're great on spheres once the Pleiades tool has done the first bit...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

That does look handy. Might look at getting one of them for the oil filter in the Saab if nothing else (getting at it to take up the slack is the hard part, though now I'm doing the filter changes they usually aren't too bad).

Will need to do the rear spheres on my Xantia before too much longer (been saying that for about six months now, but they're definitely getting worse now...), sure that will be a barrel of laughs...
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

if you slip long strips of folded over wet and dry paper under the strap as it tightens....you get even more grip with these.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That's a good tip Alasdair :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Old-Guy
My Cars: 2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - now owned by XanTom

Post by Old-Guy »

Long before I owned a Xantia, for whatever was our first car with a 'can' oil filter, I bought a small strap wrench (1/2" sq. drive shaft with a loop of 1" webbing) for filter changes, several cars later this was supplemented with a similar small chain wrench when the strap wrench just slipped on a really tight filter. At my first attempt at changing spheres, the webbing of the strap wrench just tore where a roll-pin was driven through it. Two years ago the chain of the chain version snapped trying to remove the accumulator sphere on the late VSX.

In my limited experience of removing 4 complete sets of spheres, once I've got a sphere rotated 180° with a tool it invariably winds off by hand (wearing nitrile gloves) without any struggle - even 'gushers', they just make an oily mess.
2011 Grand C4 Picasso VTR+ 1.6HDi in Kyanos Blue
1995 Xantia Estate SX 1.9TD in Vert Vega "The Green Lady" - after 11 years now owned by XanTom
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I prefer to use this sort of thing: http://egypt.souq.com/eg-en/toptul-jdaz ... 7842914/i/
You can clamp it tightly on the sphere, and bash it with a hammer if necessary :twisted:
ken newbold
My Cars: Peugeot 806
Citroen C3 1.4 Hdi

Post by ken newbold »

1998 1.9td Peugeot 806 (Red shed 2)
2004 Citroen C3 1.4HDi
2003 2.2 Pug 807, Gone and never again!