Saxo VTR wheel fitment!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

aladinsane

Saxo VTR wheel fitment!

Post by aladinsane »

:? The Citroen Saxo VTR [reg 53] [2003] 8 valve 1597 cc] my son had is now with me, as since he came out of the army he is not well enough to drive it anymore. Anyway I digress, I need to know what size wheel bolt fits the steel spare wheel as I had a puncture, this wheel kept in the undercarriage is the original steel spare. This car is all singing and dancing Saxo VTR as my kid and a few of his friends helped modify it, and so it has aftermarket wheels on with proper spacers, but probably needless to say the bolts that fit these aftermarket wheels are far too long for the steel wheel and the wheel will not turn as a result.

When I phoned Citroen I was told there are three different bolts for the Saxo and I do not know which will fit to allow the wheel to turn, one thing I have realised is they are conical and not flat bed washer and bolt as the wheel itself has a taper, so I am thinking that the original Saxo alloy wheels that came with the car, the bolts that fitted these wheels will indeed fit the spare steel wheel, but unfortunately I have never seen these wheels or the bolts, so really I am guessing here.

On the bay five different thread and bolt lengths show in listings for this Saxo so I am stymied as to what will actually fit. Come on all you Saxo VTR owners help me with this please by giving me the taper size, thread size and the length of the bolt I will then be able to balance the axle taking off the wheel fitted and fitting a second hand wheel, that will be two steel wheels fitted whilst I get the puncture repaired. A picture would be great.. Thanks in advance .
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Re: Saxo VTR wheel fitment!

Post by JohnD »

The bolts for the steel wheels are the same that's used on all Citroen steel wheels. It's 12x125 - 53. Try a breaker.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

The wheels on this car are after market Oz superleggera 16s the bolts are MCGard bolts and one locking bolt, the size you give 12 X 125 are these a tapered seat conical head bolt and is that 53mm full length if so what is the length of the thread please, looks to me as this is going to be quite short, got a picture of one please?
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

Does the spare look like this Image

If so you need flat faced wheel bolts. The VTR had them from around 2000, before then they had a taper to them.
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

The wheel pattern does not look like that you have shown me, this wheel is different. I am struggling with this and I appreciate all your efforts and endeavour, seems I cannot get a photograph to you through this avenue, could you tell me how this is done please .
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

A standard saxo steel wheel will be the exact same as my 205 ones
The standard bolt looks like this
That will be the exact same as virtually every other bolt for a steel wheel on any citroen or peugeot. Your aftermarket ones for your spacers will be 20 mm longer. Go to any scrappy, or mist car accessory shops and you should get 4 suitable bolts to keep with the spare in case you have a puncture again. Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

I have put the Mc Gard bolts on, they do not allow the wheel to turn, and probably for the reasons you mention, tell me as one last check what are the size of the tyres on this wheel you have shown me as surely that is indicative of the size of the spare wheel, certainly the spare on here is a different size to smaller engined Saxos, tyre size is 185x55x14, ordinary Saxos surely are not that size. The wheel pattern you show me is the same one as I have that is for sure. Re :Scrapyards, ''throw em away mate'', or '' no Vtr's '' Salvage yards ''what size your looking for'' so in dead stucko compounded by the fact Citroen have three different sizes and not one of their dealerships in the north despite giving the detail and the reg plate knew which bolt fit this wheel . .
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

daviemck2006 wrote:A standard saxo steel wheel will be the exact same as my 205 ones
The standard bolt looks like this
That will be the exact same as virtually every other bolt for a steel wheel on any citroen or peugeot. Your aftermarket ones for your spacers will be 20 mm longer. Go to any scrappy, or mist car accessory shops and you should get 4 suitable bolts to keep with the spare in case you have a puncture again. Hope this helps.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
I forgot to say and cannot find an official column of thanks given/received so thanks ever so much for your time and patience providing photos and just being there for me. thanks are extended to all others who contributed in helping me, long live the Saxo and I know nothing about them, but according to my son the Saxo will take its place in modern history as one of the greatest little hatches of all time.
chinkostu
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 34&alt=web

They will fit. As far as wheel style its of no issue its the actual bolt hole style that matters. Most older models came with flat faced bolts.

The vtr tyre size is indeed 185/55/14
Stu

Cars
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

The vtr will be alloys and the standard bolts for them will be different to what I have shown, and their tyres will be 185/55x14. Lesser saxo will be steels don't know their size. My 205 is steels standard 165/65x13. The reg number is not what you need, the trouble with dealers is that they hold no stock and order everything by computer and the parts man might not even know what he is ordering. The mac guard bolts you are trying will be extended ones for the spacers for the aftermarket wheels. My local scrappy keeps boxes of various different wheel bolts and sell them at a pound each. Buy the ones which are linked above, they will not do the spacers but are perfect for your steel spare.
If you do try a scrappy again don't ask for vtr bolts, just ask for citroen wheel bolts for steel wheels.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

Thank you again for all your endeavour and help. I have ordered the bolts from the link you supplied.Good on you all, your all a credit to this site..Incidentally when I was a lot younger I spent every non working moment working on cars and in scrapyards, those far off days with my late father in law, most of the cars I drove way back when can be seen in the Lakeland Motor museum near Grange over Sands in the Lake District, a fascinating day out which also includes detail of the late Donald Cambell with life size models of his watercraft, Bluebird being just one of them..Well worth the visit.
chinkostu
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

Had 2 saxos myself, they're nice and easy to work on. The funny thing is the wheel bolts for mine were flat faced with a taper as well, so funnily enough fitted the different spare wheel!

The correct wheels and bolts for the VTR are dirt cheap too as most people bin them for VTS or GTI wheels.
Stu

Cars
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
Xantidote
My Cars:

Post by Xantidote »

aladinsane wrote:Lakeland Motor museum near Grange over Sands in the Lake District
You may find they are now in new premises, in case you decide to revisit. I gather that 1 or 2 of the more "exotic" cars have now gone, such as the Paddy Hopkirk Mini-Cooper (if I've got it right)
Martin

1995 Xantia TDLX (deceased :( )
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

Yep, was there in June this year so presume they had already moved then. I was stood just the side of a mini when this chap blurted out ''Im surprised it hasn't rusted away'' yes I said, and that is exactly as I recall the Mini, the one I had did exactly that, drop to bits I mean, starting with the crankshaft which actually broke in half whilst motoring. Best car of yesteryear I ever drove was a Ford Granada ghia felt like one was riding on air compared to the other crap I owned inc a RS and a Mexico, both of which dropped to bits, much the same as the Morris 1800, Allegro, Avenger etc did, all made of rubbish metal.

Personally I wouldn't have a Saxo if it was thrown at me, but to my kid when he was ok it was his pride and joy, he did it up like a Xmas tree and spent a fortune on it ,don't get me wrong it is a great motor but one gets sick of the hard unforgiving ride. Recently I put it up for sale, lost nearly a hundred quid on advertising it, and no sale, offered tops 450.00 on the bay but my kid said no way its worth more, so here it is with me, one sad, sad story, of a man who served his country but not a country that served him.
aladinsane

Post by aladinsane »

I have the bolts sent by air mail, however, these bolts are not exactly the same as the one shown by daviemck2006 who so kindly sent the picture, head size is correct, total length is,taper is too, but where there is a space [no thread] on it these bolts received have a thread 28mm- 30mm long depending on where one measures from on the thread where the taper ends. Before I fit and dirty the heads, mark them even, is it going to make a difference fitment wise, does anyone know please.Would show these bolts to the audience but I cannot figure out how I send a picture.I think the space in between the thread and head on the correct bolt is there for a reason and that will be so the thread does not go too far into the hub, hence giving the same problem I have now, where those bolts Mc Gard[see previous entries] are fitted, the length which probably goes well into the hub and maybe touches the back plate will not allow the wheel to turn.